Pump on return side pumping AWAY from boiler?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tmyoung1

Nov 6, 2019
Wisconsin
I recently purchased a home in Northern Wisconsin with a Crown Royal RS7200 Wood Boiler hooked up to the forced air furnace and the electric water heater. In trying to get it working correctly (Pump was making noise and water not flowing to house) I took the back off and noticed that the pump, is installed on the return side (top of tank) and is pumping water AWAY from boiler, with the water returning on the supply side.

I know this system was working last year and in years past, but it has had problems with burning out pumps.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this or do I need to move the pump to the supply side?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am only up here through Sunday and need to get this sorted out.

Attachments

• WoodBoilerBack.jpg
    WoodBoilerBack.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 127
Definitely put it where it belongs. It'll have issues indefinitely until it gets on the supply outlet. There's no pressure on that unit so it needs to be mounted low to prevent cavitation.