Pump size ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrenier35

Jan 8, 2010
I have to pump 35' through 1" pex to a 30 plate heat e changer and back. What size circ should I use? Looking to move about 70-80k btus. Thanks

The plate HX complicates things quite a bit because you have to calculate flow to achieve your desired btuh transfer and then add pump head for the HX. From the info I have, assuming a 5 x 12 x 30 plate with 1" ports, 13 gpm is required to move 64,000 btuh, 8F approach temp, and pressure drop of 3 psi (7 feet of head); 19 gpm would move 93,600 gpm, 10F approach temp, and pressure drop of 5.9 psi (14 feet of head). 1" pipe is normally rated at 8 gpm. The same info shows at 7.5 gpm, 6F approach temp, only 37,000 btuh at pressure drop of 1.2 psi (3 feet of head).

My best guess is that your 70-80,000 btuh might be a challenge with the HX you have because of the high flow required and resulting high pump head.

I haven't bought the HD yet, I guess I should look for a 40 plate instead of a 30. Although my heat loss is only about 35kbtu. So maybe a 30 would be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.