Pumping away help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eastcoast

Dec 30, 2020
Pei canada
Hello I'm trying to do a little change up on my system before the cold weather starts! First off the reason is because I can hear water rushing through my pipes a lot and yes I tried probably 12 times or more and different ways to bleed it and still same problem! I have a Kerr tw2000 wood boiler and a NY thermal oil boiler. They are connected to each other when the wood boiler drops below 150⁰ the oil boiler takes over. there is also a coil in the oil boiler for my domestic hot water. I will include a few pictures to give an idea how it's set up. My system has 2 circulating pumps one beside my wood boiler on the return line and one beside my oil boiler also on the return line and it is the primary pump! also there is a big steel expansion tank beside my wood boiler on the supply line and a diaphragm expansion tank beside my oil boiler on the supple line! So I'm wondering should I place my circulating pump that is beside my oil boiler the (main circulator) on the supply line instead of the return line? And then I'm wondering can I just use one expansion tank for my hole system instead of 2 as long as I got a big enough one for my system? or should I still use 2? I'm thinking maybe them could be some of my problems! Thanks in advance.

20210117_152246.jpg 20210108_201119.jpg 20210108_201131.jpg 20210114_144308.jpg 20210114_144201.jpg

I'm no expert on pressurized boilers. But pumping away from the expansion tank is very important and often ignored, especially on older boilers.
Dan Holohan has an excellent book on the pumping away principle.