Purcell DF.....not impressed.....at all

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibumm100

Feeling the Heat
I'm about 15 bags into my ton of Purcell DF's. I bought these because the shop was out of the LaCrete's I've been burning. It's a bit of a drive to the shop so I didn't want to come back empty handed. They were way more expensive (around $345, IIRC) whiich is$65 more per ton than I normally would spend. I justified it because they were DF and I fiigured they'd be hot and clean. The ash looks pretty decent but I have to crank the stove to get any heat. The ash has been clinkering in the pot and the flame is not very high for the stove setting it's running at. I'm gonna give the stove a cleaning today and see if it improves. So far, not impressed and not worth the money. They don't appear to be any hotter than the FSU's, just cleaner. For the extra $100 a ton over the FSU's, I'd buy the FSU's and just clean it more often. The pellet length is pretty long so it's possible the feed rate is lower because of that. I'll update this if anything changes.

I'm about 15 bags into my ton of Purcell DF's. I bought these because the shop was out of the LaCrete's I've been burning. It's a bit of a drive to the shop so I didn't want to come back empty handed. They were way more expensive (around $345, IIRC) whiich is$65 more per ton than I normally would spend. I justified it because they were DF and I fiigured they'd be hot and clean. The ash looks pretty decent but I have to crank the stove to get any heat. The ash has been clinkering in the pot and the flame is not very high for the stove setting it's running at. I'm gonna give the stove a cleaning today and see if it improves. So far, not impressed and not worth the money. They don't appear to be any hotter than the FSU's, just cleaner. For the extra $100 a ton over the FSU's, I'd buy the FSU's and just clean it more often. The pellet length is pretty long so it's possible the feed rate is lower because of that. I'll update this if anything changes.
had same problem when I switched to O'Malley's last night...my Oil heat kicked on in the early am which it never does with the Harman on all night. also had a lazy flame.
due to pellets being on the longer side, I raised my feed rate from 3-4... made the difference.
Did a post about it all on the main Forum today..

Last edited:
I burn blazer DF also and noticed a lot smaller flame . BUT hotter . Also burn FSU a lot larger flame

I did a cleanout of the stove this morning and it's much better. House came up to 75 deg and I had to turn it down a little. I'm doing a test burn now and I'm testing the Purcell's against Okie DF's, Vermont's, Corinth Softwoods and some Northern (Cubex) Hardwoods. I just finished the Okie DF run and loaded the Vermont's. The Okies were about 10-20 deg hotter in the flue and about 5-8 deg hotter out of the convection blower. Probably very similar to the Purcell's as the Okies are smaller and more consistent in size. I would say the feed rate in lb/hr is a little higher with the Okies as the size is smaller so the auger is more densly "packed". I think FSU's also perform a little better compared to some big box pellets due to their smaller size. More pellets = more heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.