Purchased used wood furnace no literature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jmatt21

Oct 25, 2017
Illinois
So I purchased this burner and no tags of any sort on it and burn box has very little vents to updraft the smoke and when opening door smoke rolls out not exactly sure what I have here may be my main issue has about a 1/2" gap on both sides of top of burn box and seems to become restricted rather easy thought about modifying it but before that wanted to hear opinions or helpful ideas

Probably gonna need some pics here...

Reactions: Jmatt21
I think this is like a game of charades, except all of us are wearing blindfolds....lol

Well I put photos in an album on my profile can't seem to get them on this post though working on it

I struggle with that a bit whenever I want to post a pic. I used to use Photobucket but that is not an option anymore - but I will digress from that sourness. I think I just click on the 'Image' thingie in the reply options on top of the reply box (just right of the smiley face), then go from there following the prompts. With each pic.

It obviously hasn't been used recently and could use cleaned but I cleaned it 2 tines last year in a short time of use could have prolly had better wood some of the time too but I don't want it if I have to clean it every time I wanna use it either I have a friend with I believe a fire chief and idk if it's been modified or what but I can at least see the chimney pipe when looking around in his could even touch it

OK, we have pics...looks like that thing has lived a hard life.
Finding your posts hard to understand, some punctuation would help a lot.
Not sure what it is...maybe somebody else will recognize it...

OK, we have pics...looks like that thing has lived a hard life.
Finding your posts hard to understand, some punctuation would help a lot.
Not sure what it is...maybe somebody else will recognize it...

Well I am know English major that's a fact !lol ,but hard life not really imho it was in good shape till I moved it last..... But the burn on side is just because last guy owned it didn't attach the sc fan it has duct work that goes with it too(not attacthed) and I burned a chit ton of garbage thru it last.(not real garbage just bullshit wood)

The actual question is though......how much space is too much and how much space is not enough to burn wood. This burn box is perfect no holes leaks has set up for automated controls. Is this for burning wood or some other fuel my fireplace in the house has a bigger damper than this and this has to be a 100k+ wood furnace or not wood furnace.

How about a pic of the area in the firebox where the wood sits or combustion air inlet into the firebox. If you are asking if it’s supposed to burn wood my guess would be yes. Most coal or wood coal combos have a grate in the firebox that will move via a handle outside the furnace to seperate the ash and sometimes combustion air inlets above and below the grate

How about a pic of the area in the firebox where the wood sits or combustion air inlet into the firebox. If you are asking if it’s supposed to burn wood my guess would be yes. Most coal or wood coal combos have a grate in the firebox that will move via a handle outside the furnace to seperate the ash and sometimes combustion air inlets above and below the grate

Ya I thought about the handle/basket thing as well air inlets are on front there on left and right bottom I will get it cleaned up this weekend and get some better pictures