Purchasing a used harman accentra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikeeee33

Oct 28, 2017
Dutchess county, NY
Hey all! Just purchased my first home and am looking to get into the wondrous world of pellet heat. I'm looking at this used Harman Accentra this upcoming weekend and want to be sure I know what to look for. I am pretty familiar with buying used off CL, as my woodworking on a budget has led me to many beaten up and broken 1900's machines that I've restored. Unfortunately with this being my first pellet stove purchase I don't have as much knowledge as i'd prefer going into this. Cue the pellet gurus! I've been silently lurking here for about a year as I've always been interested in getting into it but was waiting for the right opportunity.

So this Accentra is currently uninstalled. Its roughly 4 years old, and has "been regularly cleaned" (coming from somebody on CL lol). I asked some very basic questions and gathered some further info. I was told both the igniter and control board have been replaced under warranty. This was somewhat concerning to me seeing 2 major parts were already replaced in such a short span. Also includes a good amount of ducting. At least an 8' section with the thimble and cap, which would probably be all I'd need as im planning on going straight up through the ceiling/roof as its going into the living room which was an addition (no second floor above). I also asked the seller if he was okay with me bringing a bag of pellets and testing it out, to which he agreed. All in all it seems like a great deal to me considering they're roughly 4k new and the asking price is 1,500.

I'd planned on simply starting it up and letting her run. Making sure it ignites and feeds, as well as listening for any funky sounds from the blower or any bearings. What am I missing? Are there any common points of failure I should check a little more thoroughly?

Additionally, im interested in opinions as to whether this is overkill for my application. The house is 950 sq ft with 2 floors, so ideally this will take over as my primary heat source as long as I can move the heat well. House is "fairly" tight....Concrete block construction with almost all new windows and doors.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pel1.png
    pel1.png
    653 KB · Views: 212
  • pel2.png
    pel2.png
    326 KB · Views: 265
  • pel3.png
    pel3.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 242
Hey all! Just purchased my first home and am looking to get into the wondrous world of pellet heat. I'm looking at this used Harman Accentra this upcoming weekend and want to be sure I know what to look for. I am pretty familiar with buying used off CL, as my woodworking on a budget has led me to many beaten up and broken 1900's machines that I've restored. Unfortunately with this being my first pellet stove purchase I don't have as much knowledge as i'd prefer going into this. Cue the pellet gurus! I've been silently lurking here for about a year as I've always been interested in getting into it but was waiting for the right opportunity.

So this Accentra is currently uninstalled. Its roughly 4 years old, and has "been regularly cleaned" (coming from somebody on CL lol). I asked some very basic questions and gathered some further info. I was told both the igniter and control board have been replaced under warranty. This was somewhat concerning to me seeing 2 major parts were already replaced in such a short span. Also includes a good amount of ducting. At least an 8' section with the thimble and cap, which would probably be all I'd need as im planning on going straight up through the ceiling/roof as its going into the living room which was an addition (no second floor above). I also asked the seller if he was okay with me bringing a bag of pellets and testing it out, to which he agreed. All in all it seems like a great deal to me considering they're roughly 4k new and the asking price is 1,500.

I'd planned on simply starting it up and letting her run. Making sure it ignites and feeds, as well as listening for any funky sounds from the blower or any bearings. What am I missing? Are there any common points of failure I should check a little more thoroughly?

Additionally, im interested in opinions as to whether this is overkill for my application. The house is 950 sq ft with 2 floors, so ideally this will take over as my primary heat source as long as I can move the heat well. House is "fairly" tight....Concrete block construction with almost all new windows and doors.

Thanks in advance!
That should be more than enough stove for the house, you may need to move the air around in the house, ceiling fans in reverse in the winter and on low. Most fans on medium can cool the warm air down. the photos do show the stove as being clean. You may need to check the feeder box to make sure it cleaned out. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
That should be more than enough stove for the house, you may need to move the air around in the house, ceiling fans in reverse in the winter and on low. Most fans on medium can cool the warm air down. the photos do show the stove as being clean. You may need to check the feeder box to make sure it cleaned out. Welcome to the forum.

Thankfully I have a ceiling fan in the living room to keep it all moving. I will be sure to give it a very thorough detailing once it's in my possession. Thanks!

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
Good stove for your application. Igniter replace in a 4 year stove is typical ,just replaced mine it was 3 years old and still working, just a precaution is why i replaced it. A board replacement seems odd for a 4 year old stove, but if the previous owners never used a surge protecter could of been as simple as that, or maybe they wanted a newer software up date on there board. I would not be overly concerned. Stove looks clean in the photo! Oh the loose looking chain on your auger drive is normal, just in case you were wondering.

Good stove for your application. Igniter replace in a 4 year stove is typical ,just replaced mine it was 3 years old and still working, just a precaution is why i replaced it. A board replacement seems odd for a 4 year old stove, but if the previous owners never used a surge protecter could of been as simple as that, or maybe they wanted a newer software up date on there board. I would not be overly concerned. Stove looks clean in the photo! Oh the loose looking chain on your auger drive is normal, just in case you were wondering.
Cool, thanks for all the input! Definitely makes me feel a little better about it.

No problem , you have a good quality stove there, The trick to pellet stoves is keep them clean clean clean! I mean to the point of anal retentive clean, it will out live you. Congratulations on your purchase.

No problem , you have a good quality stove there, The trick to pellet stoves is keep them clean clean clean! I mean to the point of anal retentive clean, it will out live you. Congratulations on your purchase.
Luckily I'm pretty anal about keeping my machines in the shop clean and lubed so I'm just piling them on at this point!