Purely Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

doneill127

Feb 10, 2018
Northeast CT
I looked in the pellet review section and couldn't find much information. Was wondering what kind of experience people are having with the Northern Warmth Purely pine pellets. I understand that they are a southern yellow pine pellet and believe they are made at the same mill where they used to make Okenagan golds in GA and I heard they are packaged in Upton MA. I've gone through about 1/2 ton in my Harman Accentra. I'm finding the ash tends to stick together(sintering)) and forms a pretty big solid ash cake in the burn pot.

solid ash cake

I like the way that sounds.

On your question, I have never burnt that pellet brand. Though I think pine does have more resin/oil and tends to burn hotter. I have never had such luck when burning pine pellets and find them to be messier than hardwoods. But it all depends on the material used to make the pellets season to season, so it is a gamble always.

When I use pellets like those in my stove (high resin/oil) I have to increase the air flow by at least two numbers or I get a sooty burn as well as fouled burn pot. They do burn much hotter however so I keep those for really cold weather.