Purpose of the baffle blanket - quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KayakSteve

Aug 30, 2014
Maryland
I recently had flue lining installed by my chimney sweep. In the process of completing the work, he yanked the baffle blanket out of my 5100i Quadrafire inserts (2) saying they were not necessary and did more harm than good. Really? Can anyone tell me what the purpose the baffle blanket serves?

The purpose of the blanket is to insulate the firebox which will make for a hotter firebox and a cleaner and more efficient burn. Specifically, the upper burn zone where the secondary air meets the smoke should be kept hot to burn up most particles and volatile gases. Quadrafire (and many other manufacturers) would not put it there if it was not needed.

Time to look for a new sweep: http://www.ncsg.org/search or http://www.csia.org/search

I recently had flue lining installed by my chimney sweep. In the process of completing the work, he yanked the baffle blanket out of my 5100i Quadrafire inserts (2) saying they were not necessary and did more harm than good. Really? Can anyone tell me what the purpose the baffle blanket serves?
I hope he paid for you to replace it after he yanked it since they do serve a purpose and are somewhat costly. Mine is looking tattered and worn but will serve at least one more season before replacement.
image.jpg

I bet he stuck his vacuum down in the top of the stove to suck up the ash in the top of the stove and he damaged it and thus gave you that story you did not need it. I would not use that guy again.

It's gotta be there.

Mine was tattered and thin, I replaced it and actually noticed a marked improvement in my secondary combustion

Oy vey . . . yeah . . . as mentioned . . . not only does it serve a purpose, but it serves a very useful purpose. It's not simply put there as a nighty night time blanket for your woodstove.

this is a component of the stove right?

call that MORON up , tell him to get his azz back out there and reinstall if functional or replace if he screwed it up!

removing a component of a UL listed device voids the listing, if components in a woodstove that have to do with combustion weren't needed WE WOULDNT PUT THE BLOODY THINGS IN THERE!

not yelling at you mind you. it just cranks my tractor when some snot nosed thinks he knows it all DUMBAZZ does this kind of crap!

That firebox needs to be about 1000 degrees f for the secondaries to light. That's why it needs that blanket and the pumice firebrick.

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Status
Not open for further replies.