Pushing Reset Too Often

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjk454ss

Oct 8, 2013
Michigan
i heard from someone the other day that it bad to press the reset button on a Quadrafire, it was compared to powering off a PC without going through the shutdown procedure. I tend to fill my hopper, set it on low and often I'm at work or sleeping when it runs empty. I then clean the pot while it's cool, maybe throw a few pellets in the pot, fill the hopper, and press reset. Sometimes I press it twice to get things fired up.

Is this bad/hard on it? How should I be running it. First year I had the stove I used the thermostat but then it's always using the igniter. I don't mind it just running, on low is not like it's getting the house too warm.

Hi jjk,

I don't recall reading any Quad technical service bulletin or official recommendation to not 'over use' the reset button for cold re-starts of Quad stoves. It's designed to re-initiate the stove start-up sequence if it gets interrupted for any reason - the hopper empties, ignition failure, loss of negative pressure, etc. So in your computer analogy, I would say it's more like 'waking up' your computer from sleep mode as opposed to doing a forced shut down. That said, it's a switch that can fail and / or have circuit continuity or connectivity problems at the switch end, or at the control box end, or in the wiring harness between them, as any one of the several stove switches and snap discs can. Though reset switch failures don't seem nearly as common as hopper switch and high limit snap switch failures are.

RE thermostat vs manual mode operation. Running your stove at the setting that keeps it running consistently vs cycling it on and off at a higher stove setting helps avoid the room temp swings and protracted recovery times that it takes to get the area it's heating and all the contents in it - the furniture, walls, flooring, etc. up to the room air temperature.

Avoiding the frequent thermostat cycling likely helps prolong the igniter longevity as you inferred. Igniters arguably seem to be the most commonly replaced stove component. Though the updated EZ clean burn pot design and lower wattage igniter option have helped allot to prolong the igniter longevity. The thermostat location and 'swing' setting on it - how many degrees above and below the t-stat set point is that dictates when the stove turns on and off - will also determine how often your stove cycles on and off.

So, in response to your question, do what works best for your space heating and personal comfort needs, as it sounds like you are doing. Preloading the burn pot with a handful of pellets is what I do too whenever I have to do a reset cold start up - more from a convenience standpoint than anything, so I don't have to sit there and do multiple resets waiting for the auger tube to refill with pellets and the thermo - couple temp to get up to 200 degrees to start the auger feed cycling. Kap or other Quad owners on the forum will likely chime in to add their thoughts on reset restarts and t-stat management, but IMO what you're doing is perfectly acceptable and sounds preferable for your heating needs. Regards, DK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jjk,

I don't recall reading any Quad technical service bulletin or official recommendation to not use the reset button for 'cold' re-starts of Quad stoves. It's designed to re-initiate the stove start-up sequence if it gets interrupted for any reason - the hopper empties, igniter failure, loss of negative pressure, etc. So in your computer analogy, I would say it's more like 'waking up' your computer from sleep mode as opposed to doing a forced shut down. That said, it's a switch that can fail and / or have circuit continuity or connectivity problems at the switch end, or at the control box end, or in the wiring harness between them, as any one of the several stove switches and snap discs can. Though reset switch failures don't seem nearly as common as hopper switch and high limit snap switch failures are.

RE thermostat vs manual mode operation. Running your stove at the setting that keeps the stove running consistently vs cycling it on and off at a higher stove setting helps avoid the room temp swings and protracted recovery times that it takes to get the area it's heating and all the contents in it - the furniture. walls, flooring, etc. up to the room air temperature.

Avoiding the frequent thermostat cycling likely helps prolong the igniter longevity as you inferred. Igniters argusbly seem to be the most commonly replaced stove component. Though the updated EZ clean burn pot design and lower wattage igniter option have helped allot to prolong the igniter longevity as well. The thermostat location and 'swing' setting on it - how many degrees above and below the t-stat set point is that dictates when the stove turns on and off - will also determine how often your stove cycles on and off.

So, in response to your question, do what works best for your space heating and personal comfort needs, as it sounds like you are doing. Preloading the burn pot with a handful of pellets is what I do too whenever I have to do a reset cold start up - more from a convenience standpoint than anything, so I don't have to sit there and do multiple resets waiting for the auger tube to refill with pellets and the thermo - couple temp to get up to 200 degrees to start the auger feed cycling. Kap or other Quad owners on the forum will likely chime in to add their thoughts on reset restarts and t-stat management , but IMO what you're doing is perfectly acceptable and sounds preferable for your heating needs. Regards, DK

Ok, great. That's kind of how I felt about it. But I was at the dealer and heard someone on the phone saying this to a customer who was having problems with there stove. I kept thinking of it when I'd hit reset, but never remembered to ask the real experts, the knowledgeable members of hearth.com:)

I'm guessing what they were referring to was people who are trying to trouble shoot their stove from a failed ignition issue or nuisance shut down as a result of other stove problems; ie a bad thermo-couple, an obstructed venting or air leak issue, a failing exhaust blower, etc, that makes them keep hitting the reset button in the attempt to get their stove running, but in actuality is a problem someplace else with their stove. Assuming all those parts are working and the start up sequence is functioning normally, it's OK to use the reset button as you are.

Stay warm, DK

Reactions: jjk454ss
Why do you not top off hopper before work or going to bed ?
This would avoid the forced shut down of running out of pellets

When I'm using my pellet stove as my primary heating source and running it 24 / 7 I keep mine topped off as you suggested. But this winter with fuel oil costs so low I only use the pellet stove during the day to supplement the oil burner, when it's nice to have the house warmer than the 65 degrees we keep the oil burner t-stat set for. My Quad OEM wired t-stat doesn't have programable day / night set points, so knowing roughly how long the pellets will last at a given stove setting, it is easier to let the stove run out of pellets than it is to have to fiddle with adjusting the t-stat every morning when I get up and every night before I go to bed, if that makes sense. Eventually I'll spring for a wireless day / night programable t-stat to make it easier to use your suggestion. DK

I'm guessing what they were referring to was people who are trying to trouble shoot their stove from a failed ignition issue or nuisance shut down as a result of other stove problems; ie a bad thermo-couple, an obstructed venting or air leak issue, a failing exhaust blower, etc, that makes them keep hitting the reset button in the attempt to get their stove running, but in actuality is a problem someplace else with their stove. Assuming all those parts are working and the start up sequence is functioning normally, it's OK to use the reset button as you are.

Stay warm, DK

Makes sense.

Typically I do, but oftentimes I let it run out and cool down. Then when I get home or wake up I do a quick vacuum and dump any ash in the burn pot, scrape it out, and start it up again. Basically gives me a chance to clean it is why.

Reactions: DMKNLD
If I happen to still be up when the stove shuts down in the PM, I pull out the firepot dump gate knob when the stove is still hot, before any carbon build up has the time to 'cold' weld onto the clean out plate. That way I rarely need to scrape the pot plate. Burning good quality 100% softie pellets helps with that too.

Then, like you, I do a quick vacuum cleaning, door glass wipe down, and burn pot air hole clean out in the AM as needed when the stove is dead cold. That's what works for me, but as the common saying on here goes, YMMV - your mileage / results may very.
Cheers, DK

If I happen to still be up when the stove shuts down in the PM, I pull out the firepot dump gate knob when the stove is still hot, before any carbon build up has the time to 'cold' weld onto the clean out plate. That way I rarely need to scrape the pot plate. Burning good quality 100% softie pellets helps with that too.

Then, like you, I do a vacuum cleaning, door glass wipe down, and burn pot air hole clean out in the AM as needed when the stove is dead cold. That's what works for me, but as the common saying on here goes, YMMV - your mileage / results may very.
Cheers, DK

Same here, even if it's dead cold I never have the hard clinkers anymore. If I give the dump knob a couple good pulls I wouldn't even have to scrape, but since I'm vacuuming anyway I like to make sure I get it all. I've been burning Greenways, and they are a hardwood but burn great, I do wish they got a little hotter, but they are clean and on low I can run for a long time on one bag.

Reactions: DMKNLD
I'm sorry I have to reply I read title and immediately thought of my nfl team the Cleveland Browns!!!
Too true! There's a bunch of NFL teams that need some serious off-season 'resets', ie the Bengals after last night's "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" debacle !

Your Brown's better not steal defensive coordinator Matt Patricia away from our beloved Patriots though, which is the rumor I saw on-line ! ::-) With the way the Pats have been playing lately, and with all their injuries to key players, even with Belicheck and the 'bearded one's' coaching prowess, I fear the Patriots are going to be 'one and done' this playoff season.

I'll get back on task for pellet topic discussion, I promise, for any mods out there moderating ! :) Thanks for the good sports related chuckle, jb.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
Using the reset button is what it is for. But, if used too much, as DK mentioned, you can wear it out. As far as stove running nonstop, they were not really made for this, they are made to turn on and off, as far as motors on fans are concerned, but when it is real cold out, my stove runs nonstop, and has been since installed in 06. I have yet to replace either fan on it. kap

Reactions: jjk454ss and DMKNLD
Status
Not open for further replies.