Put a new gasket on

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I put a new gasket on and let it sit for a day. When I do the dollar bill test it's snug all around but other areas I was able to rip a piece of paper ( the half near the hinge) near the handle side it stays snug but I can pull on it and it moves. I also posted a picture where the rope meets. It's in the bottom corner area. The paper is snug there but looks ugly. Is there a way to fix this? I didn't buy a factory enviro gasket but if need be I will. Going to re check everything after this fire burns out because the gasket cement said to fire it up for a full cure. Would you redo this connection or the entire gasket?

20181113_194046.jpg 20181113_201658.jpg

What kind of stove (you can put make and model in your signature.) It sounds like it is snug all the way around, that's the main thing. Keep an eye on that area when the ends butt up, it might unravel eventually. You could trim that slightly where it's hanging down, or just let it look ugly. ;) I have experimented with putting a SMALL amount of copper silicone automotive gasket maker on those cut ends to keep them from unraveling, but if you cut the ends clean and butt them up tightly they should last a long time. Don't stretch the gasket as you lay it into the gasket cement/silicone, stretching will cause it to be lower in that area.
I like to use OEM gaskets, even if they cost a little more. They are the right density that the stove maker wants in there.

I'd take some wire snips and clip those loose ends to trim them.