Putting a humidifier on top of the stove - dangers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ksks

Oct 16, 2016
SW MO
I'm new to full-time wood burning and want to put a humidifier on top of the insert's shelf.

There is a wooden old barn rafter mantle above, and 8 foot popcorn ceilings.

Will the steam hurt these areas, or soften the popcorn?

Thanks,

ks

You may get less steam than you are thinking, and most of those steamers are not very big. If the steamer is meant to address humidity issues in the house, consider either an electric humidifier for the stove room, or an outside air kit for the stove.

In a more direct answer, the steam won't hurt the popcorn ceiling (because the airflow in that room is significant, because the stove is sucking air out of it). I wouldn't worry about a wooden mantel either as long as it is painted or clearcoated.

I've removed some popcorn ceilings that were impervious to steam altogether. I think one of 'em was stucco. ;sick Next time I have to do that job, I am just taking the drywall down and replacing it.

You may get less steam than you are thinking, and most of those steamers are not very big. If the steamer is meant to address humidity issues in the house, consider either an electric humidifier for the stove room, or an outside air kit for the stove.

In a more direct answer, the steam won't hurt the popcorn ceiling (because the airflow in that room is significant, because the stove is sucking air out of it). I wouldn't worry about a wooden mantel either as long as it is painted or clearcoated.

I've removed some popcorn ceilings that were impervious to steam altogether. I think one of 'em was stucco. ;sick Next time I have to do that job, I am just taking the drywall down and replacing it.

Thanks, I didn't think the steamers would put out much, but I don't yet know what I would need.

Lots to learn.

ks

One of my favorite things to do. Scrape popcorn [emoji1532] leaves a nice knockdown finish. But shows all the imperfections the mud monkeys left behind. To keep the humidity up in my house I just don't turn on the bath fan when we shower. I stick a fan in the bathroom and push it around the house. Knock on wood not one dry nose or anything this year

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Thanks, I didn't think the steamers would put out much, but I don't yet know what I would need.

Lots to learn.

ks

It's not a fixed answer- depends on the house, on the outside humidity, and how much air the stove is pulling out of the house.

Get a hygrometer that can be calibrated (any old analog one should be adjustable; only some digital ones are; in any case it shouldn't cost more than $20. If you don't care if it's accurate, you can get a digital thermometer/hygrometer for about $10 from any big box store.)

Try the stovetop thing if you like, and see whether the house stays near your desired RH. If not, you'll either need to add more water to the air (get a humidifier) or stop the stove taking so much air (install an outside air kit). Personally, I just got a humidifier. :)

This is something you will possibly need to finish figuring out next year; your stove pulls less air burning on low, and it's warming up outside.

We keep one of those turkey roaster pans on top of the stove. You know the kind, it is black steel with white specs, about 18 inches long and 12 inches wide, 5 inches high.
We run about 2 gallons of water a day into the house with this thing, has to help with the dry air.

I can't imagine this would damage the ceiling or the old barn wood.

I would get an RH reading in the house before I'd did any humidifying. Often humidity levels are already too high in most homes. The stove just brings levels down to a normal level and people think it's too dry.