putting a wood stove in my pole barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terp393

Sep 28, 2014
United States
Hi im new to wood stoves and I picked a older stove up for 20 bucks that I had seen on the side of a house. I'm going to be putting the stove in my pole barn. My biggest question is how do I go about piping the chimney out side I see there are diffrent ways I can do it, and what type of piping will I need and all that jazz thanks for the help

Thanks . The barn is 25x32x15 high. Poured concrete floor. I was looking at possibly coming off of the stove 90ing out side then 90ing up once I was out of the barn a taking it up past the peak of the barn

That is usually much more expensive than going up straight and out the roof, especially for the long run of class A an exterior chimney will take. Remember the 10-3-2 rule. for the chimney height above the roof.
10-3-2 rule.JPG

Thanks for the info, I was looking at a chimney kit from tractor supply would u use there products or would u look else where?

I am not familiar with what they sell. What would probably work best is a cathedral ceiling support box, but this depends on the roof construction.

Ideally you want to go straight up through the roof. Barns however create a unique situation. The connector pipe is going to be tall, perhaps much taller than the chimney pipe outside. That is going to cool down flue gases, a lot which can increase creosote production. For this reason it's best to use double-wall connector inside the barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.