Putting a woodstove in a shed outside the house and piping the hot air in - sane idea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgeW

Dec 11, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello all!
This is my first post here - hope you don't mind if I start off asking ya'll for some advice!

I live in Up State NY, I have a small Jotul woodstove that I bought for my freestanding garage that I didn't get around to hooking up yet. I've been going through Propane alot quicker than I thought (hot forced air in a fairly drafy single wide trailer), and I am looking for a way to save some money on heat.

I don't want to put the woodstove inside my trailer as it isn't rated for trailers and with the clearance and all it would take up alot of living space.

A friend suggested building a small shed just next to the trailer, insulating it really well, putting the woodstove in there and then ducting the hot air the stove produces into the house, I would also have a cold air return going back out to it. I would use a fan inside the mouth of the duct going in to pull the heat inside.

Is this a reasonable (if somewhat ghetto) idea? The idea is to just cut down on heat consumption during the day, I wouldn't be using it at night.

If anyone is willing to share any thoughts and/or ideas I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks from frigid upstate NY!

George

Woodburning appliances like your Jotul stove are space heaters. Radiant and convective. I really think that for all the effort and expense of implementing your idea, you'd be disappointed by the results. I think you'd heat the hell out of the little stove shed, and get marginal results inside your living space. I don't even know just how you would design (dimension) and construct such a shed, because there are no provisions in any stove manufacturer's manuals that I know of for installing a stove in a "closet". Plus, you'd have to be running in and out to tend the stove. I'm not one to discourage original thinking and individual innovation, but I just don't think this is a good solution. Have you looked at the small stoves available that are approved for mobile home installation? There are many, and they're not all terribly expensive. Rick

fossil said:
Woodburning appliances like your Jotul stove are space heaters. Radiant and convective. I really think that for all the effort and expense of implementing your idea, you'd be disappointed by the results. I think you'd heat the hell out of the little stove shed, and get marginal results inside your living space. I don't even know just how you would design (dimension) and construct such a shed, because there are no provisions in any stove manufacturer's manuals that I know of for installing a stove in a "closet". Plus, you'd have to be running in and out to tend the stove. I'm not one to discourage original thinking and individual innovation, but I just don't think this is a good solution. Have you looked at the small stoves available that are approved for mobile home installation? There are many, and they're not all terribly expensive. Rick

Hi Rick,
Thank you for the well thought out reply. There seem to be instructions for installing the Jotul stove under a stairway, which I suppose might work, I was counting on the flow of air out of the shed into the house to cut down on the shed heating up to much, are you saying that because it's radiant heat the the walls of the shed etc.. would heat up but the air would remain relatively cool?

A question on a slightly different vein - do you think I could install the Jotul stove inside my single wide trailer? What is the difference between a stove rated for use in a trailer and one not rated for trailers?

Thanks for taking the time!

I've know a couple of people who attached a room onto the backside of a trailer just so they could install a woodburner,neither were very happy with the results of that.It would probably make a difference if it was a some what finished room that you could spend part of your day in but that probably wouldn't even be up to code in some places.I see your in upstate NY,I'm under the understanding that some towns are restricting and I've also heard,banning outdoor woodburners,you may want to look into that before you go to far.

I'm with Beau.

Assuming your setup is legal and installed properly, a well insulated shed with appreciable thermal mass could provide an excellent solution to your dilemma. That way, you could burn hotter and cleaner and draw off the thermal mass.

This book touches the iceberg on effective ways to increase efficiency by use of 'wood gassification':

http://www.rocketstoves.com/

If you have central air, it wouldn't be too hard to tie in. Otherwise a thermostatically controlled fan should do the trick.

Your solution is well rooted in common sense and is eminently workable with the right precautions. Or if your electric's comparatively cheap, get a couple Hydrosil or two to finish out the season and plan for next year.

TS

Well, it sounds to me like it just maybe, might, be a situation that could get one into running for the Darwin Awards.

Look, until you'd build a shed that's even close to code for a wood burning appliance, including the hearth, and the chimney, and necessary clearances, you'd spend enough money to buy a decent stove to be installed right into your place there.

Not to mention ductwork into your home, electric to run the blower, and the risk of a fire, WHOA, did I say FIRE.

Yeah, if that thing would catch fire inside that shed what you'd have is a blower blowing FIRE into your home, NOT a good idea, hence, the comment above regarding Darwin.

Then, assuming your place ain't burned down, you'd have to go out, especially if it's a small stove, and tend to it every 4 to 6 hours.

Plus, I don't know if you've ever burned wood before, this old boy spends some time tending the fire, watching the stove top thermometer, keepin' a general eye on things when it's startin' up, adjusting air for long burns, etc.

I mean, it don't make sense to do it the way you're talking about, I don't care what anybody else says here, it'd be a general pain in the posterior not to mention the fact that it is HIGHLY DANGEROUS, my guess is it's TOTALLY against fire code in most regions of the U.S.A.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it :)

Ive seen lots of trailers and even a school bus with a wood stove. You guys up in the woods do lots of funny things . I would try to find a stove made for the trailer installation. I have a friend that built a 16x 20 room off the side of a 25' travel trailer and put a stove in but i don't think he had it inspected .Its better to be safe.

I've seen enough trailer/woodstove horror stories not to chance an indoor installation if it were me.

It don't take a rocket scientist to build a fireproof structure, I say if you can swing it with TPTB,

do it and do it well. We 'lower caste' members can't afford $6,000 for a masterpiece version outdoor wood furnace. Awesome as they seem to be!

Unless one is willing to wait on the bailout bastards on capital hill to cut you a check.

Never let 'em tell you something can't be done. Look for reasonable, well thought out ways it can:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yoursef/1977-01-01/Beat-High-Energy-Costs.aspx

TS

I too believe you can do this cheaper by cleaning that jotul up (if it needs it) and putting it up for sale, then buying a stove approved for your situation.

I think this will also make you happier in terms of heat derived, and you won't have to put your shoes on to load it with wood!

Best of luck,

pen

GeorgeW said:
...There seem to be instructions for installing the Jotul stove under a stairway, which I suppose might work, I was counting on the flow of air out of the shed into the house to cut down on the shed heating up to much, are you saying that because it's radiant heat the the walls of the shed etc.. would heat up but the air would remain relatively cool?

A question on a slightly different vein - do you think I could install the Jotul stove inside my single wide trailer? What is the difference between a stove rated for use in a trailer and one not rated for trailers?

There are a whole lot of issues involved here. First, the type of installation you refer to as "under a stairway", I believe would be what's called an alcove installation, and many manufacturers give specifics for the required clearances in that application...but the assumption always is that at least the front is wide open to a room with some substantial dimension, not a situation where the stove is completely enclosed in a little shed or closet. Freestanding woodstoves simply aren't designed to be used that way. Second, there are many jurisdictions around the country where the mechanical code forbids placement of a return air duct register within 10 feet of a solid fuel-burning appliance. This means that a stand-alone woodburner...not a boiler or furnace with heat exchanger/ducting/fan...cannot have an air register which is taking a suction with a fan and delivering that air elsewhere in the living space within 10 feet of it. Third, in order to install a woodstove safely and properly in any mobile home application, the stove itself must be specifically approved for such installation. It must be supplied with combustion air through an Outside Air Kit (OAK), and it must be firmly attached to the floor of the home, after all clearance and hearth protection requirements have been met, and a properly built connector pipe/chimney system installed. Not every woodstove on the market is approved for installation in a mobile home, but many are. You may not be a big believer in building codes, but I am. I see them as a compendium of generations of lessons learned the hard way, and I think that even when I'm "wingin' it" without permits or inspections I feel a whole lot better about what I'm doing if I have a working knowledge of the codes involved...so I know I'm using best and safe practices. From a heat transfer point of view, I think what you've designed in your head here would prove to be a pretty inefficient system. Keep thinking and asking questions! Rick

GeorgeW said:
Hello all!
This is my first post here - hope you don't mind if I start off asking ya'll for some advice!

I don't want to put the woodstove inside my trailer as it isn't rated for trailers and with the clearance and all it would take up alot of living space.

A friend suggested building a small shed just next to the trailer, insulating it really well, putting the woodstove in there and then ducting the hot air the stove produces into the house, I would also have a cold air return going back out to it. I would use a fan inside the mouth of the duct going in to pull the heat inside.

George

This could work for you.
http://www.outsidewoodheater.com/page5.html

wasn't there a member here who sold an outdoor stove (not an outdoor furnace) that was ducted into the house for cheap money

err nevermind didn't see jimbob's post

Great post JimBob.....somebody's always invoking darwin while others are out proving that sharing intelligent creation is much better than 'survival of the fittest'.

TS

Techstuf said:
Great post JimBob.....somebody's always invoking darwin while others are out proving that sharing intelligent creation is much better than 'survival of the fittest'.

TS

not too sure i understand your post TS - many folks like that unit - i don;t see how darwin could play into it

Jimbob said:
GeorgeW said:
Hello all!

George

This could work for you.
http://www.outsidewoodheater.com/page5.html

Awesome! That looks exactly like what I'm looking for!

Thanks so much to everyone for all your advice, I've pretty much decided not to do it and maybe invest some money in the Outside wood heater Jimbob posted the link to.

Thanks again!

GeorgeW said:
Hello all!

I live in Up State NY, I have a small Jotul woodstove that I bought for my freestanding garage that I didn't get around to hooking up yet. I've been going through Propane alot quicker than I thought (hot forced air in a fairly drafy single wide trailer), and I am looking for a way to save some money on heat.

Is this a reasonable (if somewhat ghetto) idea? The idea is to just cut down on heat consumption during the day, I wouldn't be using it at night.

If anyone is willing to share any thoughts and/or ideas I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks from frigid upstate NY!

George

I have seen it done, I don't know if I would want to due it to a trailer I was living in. but if your only running the stove when your home and awake and aware it might not be so risky.
still gonna have lot's of heat loss.

if I find time I'll take a Pic of the install that I know about and post it up for ya.

Just referencing a post prior to your arrival to the thread Steve, pays to look up sometimes is all.

TS

there is a guy just down the road from me that has an add on style wood furnace in a shed/ wood storage building that is about 5 foot away from his single wide, the air duct that runs to the shed is underground. he says the duct is also insulated. I've been over there when it was -10F and he had it at 70F and apeared to work realy well. You can find good deals on ad on units 200-500$ with everyone going to owb. Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.