Q on VC Vigilant "smoky"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horvik

Sep 15, 2014
Chicago
Hi;

I have been running wood in my Vigilant and seems to work fine, in secondary burn also.

My thing is I seem to get a certain amount of wood smoke in the house, not anything you can see or obnoxious, just the smoke you can pick up with your nose.No smoke is visible when running the sotve. So do I need gaskets or what would you suggest?

Tanks

Are you getting smoke when you burn with the doors shut, or just when you're opening them? You shouldn't smell smoke at all so I'm going to guess you have a draft issue.

claydogg84;

I am smelling some smoke running with the doors shut . I was thinking maybe the top gasket as it was loose in the groove and I had to put it back in.

It's possible with the damper shut that you could be getting smoke from the stove, but usually as long as there is a good draft you'll be sucking air in, rather than pushing back into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.