Quad 1200 Insert Blower.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meg32682

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2010
Well last time I had a problem with my quad last month you guys were able to help me with it and fix it so here's to hoping you can this time as well!!!

Yesterday afternoon when I got home from work the pellet stove worked fine (quad 1200 insert). About two to three hours after that we noticed a funny noise coming from the side the exhaust blower is on. It wasn't too weird just sounded like it was getting noticeably loud. A little bit after that it started squeaking a little. After about 5 mins max it went back to normal and then about an hour later made the squeaking noise for 5 mins and back to normal.

I kept the stove on last night and decided to stay in the living room to see if it would make the noise again when it started back up. The noise this time was HORRIBLE! It sounded like something was off balance and making what I guess I would describe as a rubbing or metallic noise. It got so loud I thought it would wake my husband up down the hall so I turned off the thermostat to get the stove turned off. This morning I just turned it on one last time before work and it is just as bad.

I believe the noise is coming from the exhaust blower. I am not sure but it seems to be coming from there. Any ideas on what or how to fix this? The only thing that stands out to me in the past few days was that when I filled the hopper one or two pellets fell where the clean out rod goes down into the machine. I don't know if maybe it got in the heat exchange tubes if that would be a problem or what else it would be.

Thanks to everyone who replies and for reading my long long post! You guys and gals are always helpful!!

If it were me, I'd get a gasket, pull the combustion blower out of its housing and run it outside of the stove.

This will allow you to both verify it operates correctly and to inspect the cavity it normally is in for crud or something that came down the flue, like a bird and to clean it out.

If it is a really loud squeal it is likely a bearing on the way out.

That pretty well sums it up, Smokey. That's all the things I would do. I'd reach into the fan, if you can on the 1200, and lift up and down on it so see if there is any slop. It almost sounds like the bearing failed completely when she says it scraped and rubbed. On my stoves I can also get a small hose into the housing and suck out all the ash and small creatures. :eek:) Inserts are a definite PITA compared to a freestander so I would try to eliminate anything I could before delving into the guts. Sure sounds like it's time for that replacement motor that was just in a thread (if it's the same as the Sante Fe/Castile one).

Make sure your outer panels of the insert is not rubbing against the end of the blower. Mine has after I was done cleaning the exhust box and I did not seat the door back in its little slot. It will make one hell of a racket.

Agree with possible rubbing..pull the sourround and side doors off..then see if noise goes away. Sounds like metal rubbing on blower..

So today I am going to attempt to take out the blower to check it. I just want to make sure first that it is pretty idiot proof. Is it just the 3 or 4 nuts holding it in? Also do I need to take the whole insert out of the fireplace opening to get it out? If so I don't think I can do that and would probably have to pay someone to repair it if that is the problem. Thanks for the replys!!

I cannot remember specifically on the 1200i if the insert needs to slide out, but from the units I can remember I either had to partially disassemble the shroud or slide the unit out at an angle to pull the blower out. The 1200i does not come with a shroud and is only added for ZC or built in installs, so if you have a large masonry firebox you might be able to just slide the blower straight out.

You will want to have a gasket on hand as other suggested, or be VERY careful with it. They can be saved sometimes if you are lucky, but sometimes they also rip apart and disintegrate. Most of the quad unit have like 5 or 6 hex 11/32" bolts holding on the plate for the blower. You only need to loosen them all, then rotate the blower housing and pull it off. That being said, the 1200i is different than any of the others, i don't work on very many, and it might not be exactly like that.

Thank you for the reply! Yesterday we cleaned behind the baffles in the area where the fan is and cleaned the fan off. It didn't seem to help much so I decided that before I tried taking the exhaust out I would try putting a bit of oil on the shaft and see how that worked. Since then the noise has gone away.....no more squeaking or metal-ish noise. To me it still sounds a little bit funny......just a little louder than usual, but my husband thinks it sounds like it did before so who knows. I have a feeling in the end we will probably end up needing a new blower but if this gets us through the winter that that is good enough for me! I think if we do need a new blower that we will have to take the stove out of the fireplace. We only have about 2" between the end of the blower and the brick. Thanks again!!!!

Yea, count on needing a new blower sooner than later. The oil covered up the problem for now but with that much noise, the damage has already been done to the bearing surface. At least you have time to shop around and find the best price on a blower and can plan your 'attack' for the repair.

tjnamtiw said:
Yea, count on needing a new blower sooner than later. The oil covered up the problem for now but with that much noise, the damage has already been done to the bearing surface. At least you have time to shop around and find the best price on a blower and can plan your 'attack' for the repair.

X2, hurry up and order a new blower.............

Status
Not open for further replies.