Quad 4300 Door Gasket Replacement-HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Gang,

I needs some help here and would appreciate some advice. My 2010 4300 seemed to be overfiring and I found that the door gasket was leaking in several spots. i went to the dealer and pick up what they said was the proper replacement gasket (3/4) which is also what is mentioned in the Quad instruction manual. however, this gasket is decidedly elliptical. My questions:

1. Does the "flat" side of the gasket go into the gasket channel, or does the "round" side do into the channel?
2. Should I use RTV or furnace cement?
3. Should I place the door back on the stove and close the latch to ensure proper seating and gasket depth all around while the adhesive is wet?

Given the big cold snap coming, I need to get this done today. Thanks for your help.

richg said:
Gang,

1. Does the "flat" side of the gasket go into the gasket channel, or does the "round" side do into the channel?

I would install it with the rounded end in the channel, but you can
test fit what you have.
Remove the old gasket. Can you tell which way THAT was installed?
Generally, the kits give you an extra 6" +/-...
Cut a small piece off & try it both ways anywhere you can.
If it closes completely with the rounded part in the channel,
install it that way.

2. Should I use RTV or furnace cement?

I like RTV, myself, but I've used both successfully...

3. Should I place the door back on the stove and close the latch to ensure proper seating and gasket depth all around while the adhesive is wet?

Yes & let it set for a couple of hours. Either adhesive you use will not cure
COMPLETELY for about 24 hours...

Clean the gasket channel COMPLETELY. Chisel out any old cement & use a wire brush
or wire disc on a drill to remove the old cement, then wipe the dust out with a damp rag.
Lay a small bead of adhesive in the bottom of the channel & spread it evenly on the
surface to "prime" it. Let that set for a couple of minutes then lay your final bead in the channel.
Start your gasket between the door hinges & gently press it into the adhesive, working your
way around the door with out stretching the gasket. DON'T cut the gasket to length until you
get back around to your starting point

Bob,

Thanks for your advice, and I'll put your info to good use in a few days. As it turns out, the dealer sold me the wrong window gasket (1/2 inch ribbon instead of 1-inch ribbon), so I intend on picking up the correct one and replacing both gaskets at the same time, On a side note, while my eyesight is failing, it looks like you have a number of military decorations on your vest. If that is indeed the case, thank you for your service to our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.