Quad 7100 and air flow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dskup

Oct 4, 2007
Minnesota
Howdy all,

Just installed a Quad 7100 (pic attached), and I'm looking for some opinions on the air flow configuration. I have a two story house (basement, ground floor, second floor). I recently built a 600 sq. ft addition, single room, that has an 18ft ceiling going up to the ceiling
on the second floor (adjacent part of the house.) The fireplace is on the far end of the house in the new addition. I know, not the
best place for it, but hindsight is 20/20. There's a full basement under the entire house, including the addition.

On the 7100 you can choose between aux input and same room input for the convection air. I have the aux input ducted to the basement.
My thought process is that I would pull air from the cold basement, which gets heated and pumped out to the addition. This would create a negative pressure in the basement, drawing air from the second floor... keeping the air circulating.

I'm also planning on running the furnace blower, which will draw air from my return ducts way on the peak of the 18 ft. ceiling (the really hot stuff) and pipe it around the house.

So my question.... I have four 4 x 14 registers in the addition. Does it make more sense to close them or keep them open in this configuration? Does it make sense to draw cold air from the basement, or would it be more efficient to just draw it from the main floor? I don't use the basement all that much... I'm just trying to create maximum airflow since the FP is on the end, and the room space is large. I also have two ceiling fans spinning in the peak.

I welcome your advice.

Dan in Minnesota

Attachments

• 7100 Far.jpg
    7100 Far.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 179
I would try drawing the AUX air from the basement. It should help to make the air circulate throughout the house better. As long as your basement is normally open to the main floor (no closed doors).

If you are running the fireplace you might want to close the registers in that room. Although I can tell you from reading other info on here the furnace blower does not help to distribute the heat very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.