Quad combustion motor cleaning black smoke issue follow up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ablejoy

Feeling the Heat
I just pulled stove down to clean having issue with black smoke in burn pot and on bricks. Feed rate is almost closed in order to get flame down to 6" on high. Combustion motor was not to bad compared to others I've seen. I think my problem is the pellets I bought . The amount of ash in the picture is about 1/2 bag or less burned last night on low.
When I pulled the brick behind blower there was a lot of ash build up I think a lot went up the vent pipe. I will be going to pick up a different bag of pellets to try tonight. Will post my results later. will clean the vent pipe again tomorrow. I ran 30 bags so far this winter.

Empty the hopper and found I had the feed set 3/4" open must of had a senior moment. I bought some Lignetic's to try can't afford them at twice the price of the heaters. Only other option would be Wally World. I think my soot problem was my feed rate on start up.

Will light the stove off tonight with lignetics and see what happens.

Attachments

• DSCN1056.jpg
    DSCN1056.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN1057.jpg
    DSCN1057.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 196
AZ your picture of your rear baffles looked like the fire was burning hot enough. When my fire burns hot they have that same "whitish" ash color on them. My Castile has been running absolutely super, but tonight I am going to adjust the feed rate a hair lower to see the difference.

smalltown I thought I closed the feed all the way then pulled out 1/4" but really was almost wide open. Stove is burning good now I have the feed set 1/4" open. Yes when its burning hot the back of stove is white in color. I was worried about the black soot in the fire pot never did that before.

The stove just started with the lignetics burn really hot if only I could get them at $4.00 a bag. The test bag with tax was close to $8.00 will have to stick with what I have. There pine soft wood
Will post pictures of fire later

Status
Not open for further replies.