Quad Mt Vernon AE thermostat issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RMongeau

Jan 25, 2014
Seekonk, Massachusetts
My Mt Vernon AE insert has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years, but last week my thermostat started acting
up.
I have found other threads about the stat going blank, but mine is freezing up. Wherever it happens to lock up is where everything stays. If the stove is on, it will just keep running at that output. If the stove isn't running, it won't turn on. None of the buttons will do anything. The clock and temp reading don't change.
Everything goes back to normal by rebooting it by unplugging it.
Just wondering if anyone here has experienced this ?
I assume I need a new thermostat?

Rick

The tstat wires are real thin and the wire ends that attach to the screws on back of stove are also. Sometimes just lifting on the wires where they attach to stove, wakes things up. Try cutting off those wire ends, and just attach wires to screws. Remember they are color coded. The white wire is the communication wire. Make sure it is secure in tstat. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks Kap.
All the wiring seems secure and right now the tstat is working. Will wait to see if moving the wires around helped anything.

Thanks Kap.
All the wiring seems secure and right now the tstat is working. Will wait to see if moving the wires around helped anything.
I e seen this where the tstat wires were pinched and I had to replace the run of wire

Reactions: kappel15
My Mt Vernon AE insert has worked flawlessly for the last 3 years, but last week my thermostat started acting
up.
I have found other threads about the stat going blank, but mine is freezing up. Wherever it happens to lock up is where everything stays. If the stove is on, it will just keep running at that output. If the stove isn't running, it won't turn on. None of the buttons will do anything. The clock and temp reading don't change.
Everything goes back to normal by rebooting it by unplugging it.
Just wondering if anyone here has experienced this ?
I assume I need a new thermostat?

Rick

Mice??? Had a problem with wife's car doing strange things. Dealer fixed some wiring. Insulation had been nibbled on. Turns out some cars use wiring I insulated with a soy based material. Not sure about thermostat wiring.

Reactions: kappel15
Ever since I remove the thermostat cover and checked the wiring, it has been working fine again. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now.

Sometimes gentle pushing on the computer strip behind the tstat cover helps this also..

Mice??? Had a problem with wife's car doing strange things. Dealer fixed some wiring. Insulation had been nibbled on. Turns out some cars use wiring I insulated with a soy based material. Not sure about thermostat wiring.
I have had over 400 dollars worth of damage done to my truck, thanks to squirrels chewing on those soy covered wires. Would love to give the bill to Ford. Heard of a guy with a Toyota that same thing was happening to. kap