Quad Santa Fe has no power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

J. R. Strom

Nov 9, 2017
Carroll County, MD
Hi folks,

Pellet stove novice here. Bought a Santa Fe in 2013 and have had no major problems until now. Filled up the hopper and went to turn it on via remote yesterday and nothing. Replaced batteries in stove and remote, still nothing. No lights at all in left side panel. Yes I checked that it was plugged in. Any other ideas what to check?

Thanks

Called the dealer I bought from said to jiggle the inside connection. That did it. I noticed last time the cleaning guy was here he was banging the excrement out of the stove to get the ash down from the roof pipe. Maybe he jarred something loose?

Unplug stove and try reseating the control box. then plug stove back in. Sometimes they can work a little loose, and if he was banging on it, could do it too. Otherwise bypass the remote and jump two screws on back of stove that tstat wires hook to. kap

Hi all,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but this is exactly my problem - a Quadrafire Santa Fe with no power, despite a live outlet, A fuse that’s fine, and a control box that appears fine, and seated (and is a replacement, less than one year old, that I bought when the stove started acting strange earlier in the year - but the old one is fine, too).

Basically, the “stuff” leading up to this is that the stove kept dying after about 20 min (usually, but not always, after the convextion blower turned on). Until then it started and burned beautifully. Nothing odd would happen, the stove was clean as a whistle all the way up the pipe (I clean it myself, have for years, and also have a Mt Vernon AE, so I’m hardly newbie at this). But it would suddenly just stop, in that the auger would just stop feeding pellets. Sometimes the reset switch would get it going again for an entire day if I caught it in time, and if I restarted it via the thermostat (turn down wait for call light to go out, then turn back up), it would often be fine for hours. But if starting “cold”, the problem would appear almost all the time. I thought it was the thermocouple so I replaced that, then suspected a snap disc, so I replaced all three (and bypassed them for a few days), then I thought vacuum, so cleaned and checked the hose and connectors, and then bypassed the switch (and the hopper lid switch, just to be sure). Finally, I bought the new control board. Throughout this, things would be better for a day or two, then the stove would go back to its old tricks. The only thing I had left to try was the auger motor (suspecting the known capacitor issues), so I ordered a new one. But then before I could install it, the reset stopped working at all, and a few days after that, the stove just died completely. No sign of life at all (and no call light), and as noted, the fuse is fine. It did come back to life one day when I plugged it back in, but then it died after the usual 20-30 min, and now appears completely kaput. And when I unplug it and plug it back in, no blue light or other signs of life at the board. I’ve never seen anything like it, frankly.

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help possible.

Last edited:
I would take a multimeter and check from the plug into the stove to find out where the power is disappearing. There may be a bad connection at the bulkhead connector or connection at the fuse. Has the high temp snap disc popped?

Reactions: kappel15
You might have more then one thing going on. Try jumping the screws on stove, the tstat wires hook to, to eliminate any issues with the tstat and tstat wires. You can test #1 snap disc for power too, by jumping the wires together, as it always has power to it, even if stove isn't running. If it has power, then there is a loss of power in the stove itself. kap