Quadra-Fire 3100 ACC questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chrisrappl

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I have had this stove (Quadra-Fire 3100 ACC) for five seasons now and burn 4-5 full cords per season. It is by far the most dependable appliance in my home, but it is time for some maintenance.

I am rebuilding the door first. I have scratched (very fine scratches) the glass over the years with a scotchbrite pad. I have removed the glass and will try to polish out the scratches with 3M Glass Polishing Compound #60150. I may not have much luck, but I'll try.

I need to replace both the glass gasket and the door gasket and would like to find a place to buy both in bulk so that I can rebuild this a number of times.

I believe that the glass gasket is a flat woven self-adhesive gasket that is either 3/4" or 1". The old gasket seems to measure 1", but some online sellers list 3/4" for this stove. It may not make much difference, but I'd like to get it right the first time.

I believe that the door gasket is a 3/4" round gasket that flattens out against the stove. I don't know if this is a low, medium or high density gasket. Again, since I'm planning on buying enough for a number of changes, I need to get this right. Since I want this to look neat, I may try to get a black gasket and black high temp silicone so that my fingerprints don't show.

I will be replacing the ceramic insulating blanket. My notes say 1/2" X 19" X 13.5 rectangle. Hearth and Home lists a similar size for the 3100 ACC, but also lists a 1" blanket for 3100 Series Non-ACT stoves. I think the 1/2" is probably correct, and I would like to find a good place to buy a large enough piece to give me two replacements if possible or maybe a roll with a width close to one of my dimensions.

Lastly, I tried touching up a few paint areas last year and the original paint bubbled up underneath the new paint. So I'm guessing that I sprayed lacquer over enamel? I will be spot sanding the stove and then hope to repaint it completely. I know I need high temp paint, do I also need a high temp primer? Or no primer? I'm assuming that the stove should be flat black, any product recommendations?

Thanks for any advice.
Chris

I use a pad that says it's safe for ceramic cook-tops.
As far as gaskets, I don't mess with the aftermarket stuff anymore, I just pop for the OEM gaskets, which are the correct size, density and material.

Woody,
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't know they made pads for ceramic cooktops.
I was hoping to find a supplier that carries the same gasket material as OEM.
The stove manufacturers have to buy their gaskets from someone.
I'm pretty sure they don't make their own.

Get the Quadrafire gasket. It is hard to find good door gasket material that matches OEM spec.

Get the Quadrafire gasket. It is hard to find good door gasket material that matches OEM spec.
I don't know, but they may even custom-order their OEM from the gasket maker. In that case you couldn't match it..