quadra fire 4100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blkdak

Dec 19, 2007
SE PA.
I been using my quad 4100i for 3 weeks now and have a problem with smoke coming out the door when reloading wood. The flue has a full liner and the wood I use is locust and seasoned for 6 months . The dealer checked it out and the stove is performing well as far as draft and heat output. Opening a window in the house, when opening the stove door does seem to help. Does any one else have a problem like this?

I have the same unit. If I reload while there is still wood in a flaming burn I will probably get the same, unless they are shorter splits with their ends not closer than 4" from the door. I always let the wood burn down to just coals before reloading, and this solves the problem. If you must reload while it is actively burning take your time and open the door slowly. You might still get some spillage but I know of no way to avoid it.

MarkG

yukiginger said:
... splits with their ends not closer than 4" from the door. ...
MarkG
It does seem to help if burning fuel is away from the door. Also, I follow the manual instructions and open secondary draft air control before trying to open the door. From my research, more than a few 4100i owners complain about this. Even when it's been burning for days, and the chimney's real hot with lots of draft; smokey aroma enters the room if I'm not real careful with the door, etc. By that time it's just aroma, not visual, set-off-the-detector type smoke. I gotta admit, with practice, it's possible to minimize it. Don't give up yet!

That isn't peculiar to the 4100i. The EPA non-cat stoves exhaust right over the loading door and I have yet to see anybody that could open the door on one without some smoke spillage. The exhaust is headed that way and inertia is what inertia is. Before I changed liners I had a draft that was mind boggling and still a little smoke escaped no matter what I tried to do opening the door on my Englander. Or my neighbor's Avalon, or the other neighbor's Lopi and on and on.

blkdak, does the stove have an outside air kit? If opening a window always makes a difference, then it is likely the house is tightly sealed and there is a slight negative pressure in the house. This can be because of fresh air ventilation systems, furnace running, dryers, bath fans, etc. If this is the case an outside air kit is advised.

how much smoke? Could be a few things. Usually I find when a lot of smoke is coming back its due to the wood having too much moisture. This creates lower stack temps and less draft.

You said opening a windows helps.... sounds like neg pressure in the house as begreen suggested. How tightly constructed is the house? How old is it? New windows / doors recently? You might need to consider an outside air kit. Is the back of the chimney on the outside of the house?

I have helped people out with their stoves a lot, especially the 7100FP built in unit. I usually open the doors when its burning as a test to see if smoke comes out. I have never really gotten anything noticeable. I only have ONE customer right now who complains about smoke when reloading on an Isle Royal (using front door). Her chimney is like 26ft on the outside of the house (Class A).

Status
Not open for further replies.