Quadra Fire 4300 ACT

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi all. This is my first post. I live in a 3 bedroom rancher in Lancaster Pennsylvania. I bought a used Quadra Fire 4300 ACT about a year ago. I love this stove. It seems to do very well but I have a few questions on whether I am getting the most efficiency out of it.

I work a ten hour shift during the day and attempt to get 8 hours of sleep at night. So I really want to find ways to keep this thing working at its best during those time frames. I burn mostly (Seasoned) Oak, Hard Maple, Locust, Cherry, Birch, and mix in some Elm.

I have read and understood the owners manual. I just want to know what the secrets are to get the most out of this thing (in regards to a good burn time) ? Do you leave the air control close to open to keep it hotter or do you keep it closer to closed for lower temps? I realize burn time is always affected by airflow but what is the best way to keep this thing hot for 8-10 hrs?

Do you fill North to south or east to west? Throw big chunks in or split smaller? I think the ideal thing would be to have hot coals and just throw a big dry round in. Anybody try hooking a bi-metallic spring on to the air control?

Sorry for all the questions, I just like to think and improve :) thanks,
Jeff.

Welcome Jeff. You're going to get the longest burn times and best heat by turning down the stove in increments. Closing the primary air down causes the draft to pull from the secondaries. This increases the firebox temp and efficiency. You want lazy flames over the fire for the best and longest burn. Too much air once the fire is burning strongly results in flames up the flue and an inefficient burn, plus possibly an overheated liner.

That makes sense. So here is another question. During the "hot coal" stage of the fire would it benefit to open the primary back up? I figure at that point there is no secondary burn so without the primary there is not much keeping the coals alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.