Quadra Fire 5700 Step Top

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Was looking around the Quadra Fire Website.

This model says it gets 21 hours burn time.

Has anyone ever gotten close to that?

I saw a cut away in one of their videos. Looks like the back of the fire box they didnt have fire brick at the bottom of the back wall but had fire brick starting about half way up the wall to the top. This is very interesting as the cut away showed like a air chamber behind that section of wall with no fire brick. Looks to be a good idea as it would place the heat chamber for secondary air down close to the coals where there is alot of heat to super heat the secondary air. Maybe heating it much better and hotter than other stove designs.

I saw a cut away in one of their videos. Looks like the back of the fire box they didnt have fire brick at the bottom of the back wall but had fire brick starting about half way up the wall to the top. This is very interesting as the cut away showed like a air chamber behind that section of wall with no fire brick. Looks to be a good idea as it would place the heat chamber for secondary air down close to the coals where there is alot of heat to super heat the secondary air. Maybe heating it much better and hotter than other stove designs.

I got a new 5700 Step top installed about 2 months ago. I get an 8 hour burn time on about a 75% loaded box with one year old seasoned cherry. When I bought it I did not expect to get a 21 hour burn time. My fire box looks completely lined with brick. I'm pretty happy so far.

I had a brand new 5700,as a matter of fact 2 the first one cracked on both sides,was replaced by quadrafire in its entirety,on a good day 8 hour burn in weather that was in teens was possible,although at the end of the burn little heat was being generated.The replacement quad was total rubbish IMHO and a 4 hour burn time in 0 weather was as good as mine would put out,I chitcanned it after 2 weeks and went in another direction. But good luck to you if you go that route.

Had my Quadrafire 5700 for 2 years,, it sits out in my barn right now.. Ate wood and produced little heat.. My Woodstock Fireview with a smaller fire box and burning soft maple compared to ash and sugar maple in the Quad,,, is hands down out heating the Quad.. Big box ,,lots of wood, and pathetic heat output... Yes if you run the fan on high and crank the stove you have heat,,, but then your really burning through the wood... Don't forget I put 4 pieces of wood in the Fireview compared to 8 in the Quad,,, the Fireview still out heats the Quad... My advice for long burn times,,, get a stove with a cat.....The Quad is a wood hog!!!!!!!! All that great burn technology shot the heat right up the pipe! 12 hours and you still had coals,, you should for all the wood it held,, but you still had a cool house...Don't waste you money!

Sounds like you guys some of you had some bad luck with the stove.

The design of that stove is the same basic design of most the others that are non-cat EPA certified.

These stoves can be tricky to operate. Many people have posted same issues with other stoves of this same design.

But I doubt the stove gets 21 hours. But if it gets 14 thats impressive. But on the same thought the NC-30 is a 3.5cuft box and it doesnt get 14 hours either. I was just hoping Quadra Fire had figured something out.

I'm sure with the right conditions they squeaked out a 21 hour burn but in the real world I think just about all the 3 cu ft non cat burn tube stoves average around a 8-10 hour burn. It's all about the combustion air coming in and most non cats don't have much control over it.

Reactions: Jags
Sounds like you guys some of you had some bad luck with the stove.

The design of that stove is the same basic design of most the others that are non-cat EPA certified.

These stoves can be tricky to operate. Many people have posted same issues with other stoves of this same design.

But I doubt the stove gets 21 hours. But if it gets 14 thats impressive. But on the same thought the NC-30 is a 3.5cuft box and it doesnt get 14 hours either. I was just hoping Quadra Fire had figured something out.
That's why I love my Fireview,,,no trickery to deal with,,,,stove gets up to temp, close the by pass,, and set your draft to 1 or less and come back in 8 hrs.....The Quad,,, you were a slave,,always fooling with the controls,,,,,,to low, now it's to high. I tried for two years to deal with it and had enough,,, that stove was more then the Fireview! I was going to use it on my garage, but now I might even sell it!

Had my Quadrafire 5700 for 2 years,, it sits out in my barn right now.. Ate wood and produced little heat.. My Woodstock Fireview with a smaller fire box and burning soft maple compared to ash and sugar maple in the Quad,,, is hands down out heating the Quad.. Big box ,,lots of wood, and pathetic heat output... Yes if you run the fan on high and crank the stove you have heat,,, but then your really burning through the wood... Don't forget I put 4 pieces of wood in the Fireview compared to 8 in the Quad,,, the Fireview still out heats the Quad... My advice for long burn times,,, get a stove with a cat.....The Quad is a wood hog!!!!!!!! All that great burn technology shot the heat right up the pipe! 12 hours and you still had coals,, you should for all the wood it held,, but you still had a cool house...Don't waste you money!

So this was a Cat verus non-cat discussion? The Fireview is a great stove. I went a different direction since I wanted a Dealer close by, did not want to pay a shipping charge, and I did not want a cat stove. That said, how many cords of wood will you go thru on a yearly basis? I know it depends on where your stove is located, how big of a house, region locale, etc. By the way my house is a comfy 71 deg. I will burn 4.5 to 5 cords this season. 2200 SF up 2200 SF down with the stove located in the basement.

Quad makes nice stoves. But they have really gotten out of hand with their burn time specs.

Reactions: Jags
That's why I love my Fireview,,,no trickery to deal with,,,,stove gets up to temp, close the by pass,, and set your draft to 1 or less and come back in 8 hrs.....The Quad,,, you were a slave,,always fooling with the controls,,,,,,to low, now it's to high. I tried for two years to deal with it and had enough,,, that stove was more then the Fireview! I was going to use it on my garage, but now I might even sell it!

I think I will try a cat stove next stove I get. This non-cat stove I bought was just a basement family room heater I got when I remodeled the basement and made a family room. It was an economical $699 stove but was surprised at how well it heated the whole house so now I heat entirely with wood again.

So this was a Cat verus non-cat discussion? The Fireview is a great stove. I went a different direction since I wanted a Dealer close by, did not want to pay a shipping charge, and I did not want a cat stove. That said, how many cords of wood will you go thru on a yearly basis? I know it depends on where your stove is located, how big of a house, region locale, etc. By the way my house is a comfy 71 deg. I will burn 4.5 to 5 cords this season. 2200 SF up 2200 SF down with the stove located in the basement.
No, not a cat verses non cat discussion,,,, I was just stating that if Hunting dog is looking for long burn times ,,, he's not going to find it in the Quadrafire 5700,,,, he seems like he'd be happier or in line with a Cat stove..I had first hand experience for two years with the Quad 5700 and I think Hunting dog would simply be disappointed with the burn time of the Quad... And I was loading in 22-24 inch splits of wood...I know my Fireview heats better with half the wood in the firebox that the Quad held. So he'd cut his wood consumption practically in half.. I haven't changed a thing in the house, just swapped stoves. And by the way the fireview at 500 surface temp ,not even maxed out shows 79 degrees on the wall temp,,, the Quad's best was 72 and that was @ 650 with the blower on.. Power goes out and the Quad looses it's fan and heat output. No thanks! As long as your happy with your stove , that's all that matters. Myself I like burning less wood and getting more heat. Plus after 6 months of burning my Fireview, if I don't like it I get a full refund and the shipping back paid for as well... If I could have done this with the Quad,,, it wouldn't be sitting in my barn right now..

Reactions: Huntindog1
Status
Not open for further replies.