Quadra Fire Castile pellet drop problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jbc2175

Mar 20, 2022
Sisters Oregon
Hi. Great forum and after reviewing some past posts, thought I had the solution to my issue but alas, still stumped. Older castile stove and no pellets dropping. Igniter on, fan running, thermostat calling for pellets. Did some of the suggestions in earlier posts, including cleaning out entire pellet box, drop hole with coat hanger, removed auger and cleaned tube and auger, bench tested auger and seemingly working fine, blew out vacuum switch tube, and tried to run stove after jumping the vacuum switch (which I think I did correctly but not sure). Primed the pot and after fire died down, still no pellets dropping into pot. Shouldn’t the bypass of the vacuum switch allow the auger motor to run? It ran fine at bench test. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum
Do you have a manual? If not From the manual
Feed system fails to start. Out of fuel. #2 snap disc may be defective. Vacuum switch not closing. No vacuum. Feed system jammed or blocked. Feed spring not turning with feed motor. Feed motor defective or not plugged in. Check hopper, fi ll with fuel. Replace snap disc. Firebox door must be closed securely. Check exhaust blower is plugged in and operating. Check vacuum switch is plugged in. Check vacuum hose is in good condition, clear and connected at both ends. Check thermocouple is in good condition and plugged in properly. Make sure venting system is clean. NOTE: High winds blowing into the venting system can pressurize the fi rebox causing loss of vacuum. Empty hopper of fuel. Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to remove remaining fuel, from hopper, including feed tube. Check feed chute for obstructions. Loosen 2 feed assembly mounting screws and lightly shake feed assembly. Check that set screw is tight on feed spring shaft at end of feed motor. Check connections on feed motor, replace if defective.

here is a manual hope it is the one you need

Reactions: kappel15
Welcome to the Forum
Do you have a manual? If not From the manual
Feed system fails to start. Out of fuel. #2 snap disc may be defective. Vacuum switch not closing. No vacuum. Feed system jammed or blocked. Feed spring not turning with feed motor. Feed motor defective or not plugged in. Check hopper, fi ll with fuel. Replace snap disc. Firebox door must be closed securely. Check exhaust blower is plugged in and operating. Check vacuum switch is plugged in. Check vacuum hose is in good condition, clear and connected at both ends. Check thermocouple is in good condition and plugged in properly. Make sure venting system is clean. NOTE: High winds blowing into the venting system can pressurize the fi rebox causing loss of vacuum. Empty hopper of fuel. Use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to remove remaining fuel, from hopper, including feed tube. Check feed chute for obstructions. Loosen 2 feed assembly mounting screws and lightly shake feed assembly. Check that set screw is tight on feed spring shaft at end of feed motor. Check connections on feed motor, replace if defective.

here is a manual hope it is the one you need
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had downloaded the manual and used it as best I could to bird dog this issue. Seemingly the auger and motor are working fine when bench tested with power. I was hoping that after the jumping of the vacuum switch, that the auger would turn but it doesn’t. And I’ve done all the cleaning and obstruction checks. Is there a way to test the vacuum switch or just order a new one. Same question for snap discs - not sure how to determine if defective or just replace. Thanks

Have you tried jumping disc # 2 ?

Reactions: kappel15
Hi. Great forum and after reviewing some past posts, thought I had the solution to my issue but alas, still stumped. Older castile stove and no pellets dropping. Igniter on, fan running, thermostat calling for pellets. Did some of the suggestions in earlier posts, including cleaning out entire pellet box, drop hole with coat hanger, removed auger and cleaned tube and auger, bench tested auger and seemingly working fine, blew out vacuum switch tube, and tried to run stove after jumping the vacuum switch (which I think I did correctly but not sure). Primed the pot and after fire died down, still no pellets dropping into pot. Shouldn’t the bypass of the vacuum switch allow the auger motor to run? It ran fine at bench test. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Check the #2 snap disc. That is one of the controls for the auger moter.

You say older Castile. Is it old enough it doesn't have a hopper lid switch? And you don't know if you need a new vac switch yet either. Not till you figure out what is wrong with stove. Jumping vac switch didn't work, so may not be problem. Another thing to try is to unplug stove, pull control box out and reseat it. Then plug stove back in. Sometimes they can wiggle loose after time. If all else fails, hopefully you know someone with a three speed control box to try in yours, to eliminate if it is the control box. kap

You say older Castile. Is it old enough it doesn't have a hopper lid switch? And you don't know if you need a new vac switch yet either. Not till you figure out what is wrong with stove. Jumping vac switch didn't work, so may not be problem. Another thing to try is to unplug stove, pull control box out and reseat it. Then plug stove back in. Sometimes they can wiggle loose after time. If all else fails, hopefully you know someone with a three speed control box to try in yours, to eliminate if it is the control box. kap
Thanks Kap. I have to leave town for several days and working on this upon return (stove in woodworking shop) and will let you know. I have never noticed a hopper lid switch but will check.