quadra fire castile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

coachk

Jan 13, 2021
Gloucester, VA
I am strongly considering the quadra-fire castile. Is it just my imagination or is the flame shorter on quad models due to the design of the burn pot compared to other brand stoves? This is based off of videos and pictures that I have seen on the net, no first hand experience. Also, do people install outside air intake on these?

Flame height on quads are determined by the heat setting you are using. The castille has been around a long time, good simple easy to use stove, very nice looking cast stove. I've used my for the past 3 seasons with no issues. I got it used from work and although I'm an Enviro guy, the little castille has been great. Its nice for about 1000-1200 sq ft, its moderately quiet, but its simple on or off via the thermostat is its strong suit. Good luck with yours.

I like this stove a lot from just taking a look at it but it wasn't running. I like it's small footprint and of course the style. I do wish it had a run mode without cutting off but I guess that can be offset by using a lower setting to reach the desired thermostat temp so it runs longer when we want to enjoy the fire and not just the heat. thanks for your feedback

stovelark- so you can see the flame on all 3 settings? Not just a glow? It's a shame that I can't see one running. Also, did you use an OAK on it? I read some threads that their OAK is somewhat tricky to install.

Well, the castille has 3 heat levels low med and high. The flame levels depends on a number of things. Pellets used, cleanliness of the stove, venting configurations all have an effect on the flame. You can see one running on youtube if you search for quadrafire pellet stoves.
If you have the flame adjusted correctly on high (4-6 inches average above the opening of the burnpot), then when you are on medium, the flame will be about level with the burnpot opening, and on low, the flame is about half as high inside the burnpot. I burn my stove a lot on low constant burn (I put the thermostat all the way up), the stove will run till I turn it off. Thats the beauty of QF stoves, they are simple to run and use. Good heaters, reliable and very nice looking, espec the brown majolica enamel finish... of course painted black goes well with all decors.

Reactions: Ssyko
thanks stovelark, that's the type of info I was looking for. The videos/pictures I have found on the internet I'm guessing always have the stoves running on high to produce the best looking flame. I couldn't find any that weren't from quadra-fire.
thanks again