Quadra Fire Castille won't start, igniter hot, no fan, no pellets dropping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Shandaken Sam

Sep 3, 2021
Shandaken, NY
Hi, thank you for your help. My, 16 year old Castille pellet stove was working fine in the spring when I last used it. I cleaned the chimney and the stove over the summer. This morning I tried to start it and it wouldn't start up.

I igniter is hot, but the fan isn't running and it is not dropping pellets. I emptied the hopper, I pulled the auger and it wasn't clogged. The red light is on and a blue light, that I could only see with the side cover off, comes on when I first plug it in

But I have no fire. Can anyone help?

Thank you

No Fan no vacuum no pellets no fire
First check the fan

I got the fan running yesterday. I started spinning it by hand and it got going. I've never cleaned inside that area, so I'm going to really clean it today. I still am not getting pellets to drop. If I put a handful in the firepot they do fire up.

It sounds like you need to do a thorough cleaning of the complete unit. Also check the tube going to the vacuum switch to make sure it is not plugged.

I solved it this morning. I did a very thorough cleaning inside the area with the combustion fan and really cleaned the fan so it is spinning like a top. I cleaned the two other fans in the box at the bottom but they weren't too bad since I have been cleaning them every few years. I had never cleaned the area with the combustion fan in 16 years. I checked the vacuum hose and it had a little soot inside but I don't think it was blocked.

Then I checked the clean-out for the chimney. Last year was the first time we have ever stayed here for the whole winter and I burned more than twice as many pellets as usual. When I cleaned the chimney I was amazed at how much junk filled the bottom of the pipe. I had cleaned it out but I left the horizontal section blocked with soot. Once I cleaned that out everything is working just fine.

With everything cleaned out way better than usual, it's burning and sounding much better than it has in years!

Reactions: Ssyko
A clean stove is a happy stove
and now you know why we say it
Congrats on doing the maintenance yourself

Reactions: Ssyko and Washed-Up