Quadra Fire Ceramic blanket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lyork

Feb 24, 2008
midwest
Hello, just found this forum and have been looking through the posts and am still a little unsure of what I need. I have a Quadra Fire Bodega Bay fireplace insert. A squirrel tried to use the fireplace for a nest, and tore up the ceramic blanket in the process (apparently wanting to use it for nesting material!!) The chimney sweep was out, and put a new top on the stainless liner, one that is animal proof. However he said I would need to get the blanket from Quadra Fire as he was unure exactlly what it was made of. I called my local dealer and they want $70.00 for the blanket. Anywhere else to get it? I read a couple of posts refering to Kao Wool (spelling?) that was available on E-bay. I have the specs as to what the blanket needs to be cut to from the manual, just need to know what is okay to use and what isn't. Thanks in advance to those that are taking to time to read this and respond. It is greatly appreciated.

It's Kaowool.

There are varying types of Kaowool with different specifications though, so try to dig a little deeper and perhaps find out which one it is.

AND be careful handling the stuff. Lots of hazardous particles in the air any time you fool with it.

If you can locate a foundry supply company in your area, they might be willing to sell you the piece you need. Kaowool comes in different thicknesses and temp. classifications. At work, we have the 2300 degree, 1" thick material, and that might be good for wood stove work. There is also a 3200 degree material, but it is much more expensive and probably overkill for a wood stove.

McMaster Carr, http://www.mcmaster.com/
Carries both ceramic and silica high temp insulation.
As a matter of fact I just ordered a 12” X 36” X 1” piece of the silica insulation (rated to 2000*) for my stove, cost me $45.00 shipped. It hasn’t arrived yet so I can not tell how well it worked.

I noticed that the board that holds the ceramic blanket in mine is crached in half. It's not causing a problem, but I have been wondering how much Quad is going to want for this. I also noticed that the two fire bricks in the back that have a hole in them for the air vents are beginning to crumble and I'm only on my second year burning. Probably excluded from the lifetime warranty. Are Quadrafire prices excessive or is this stuff really that expensive?

the board is coverd uned lifetime warrantty as well as the blanket not sure they will cover for the roddent eating it but for normal use it is coverd.

The Hearth & Home Technologies limited Lifetime Warranty guarantees that the following components will work as designed
for the lifetime of the stove or Hearth & Home Technologies will repair or replace them. These items include but are not limited
to steel and cast iron components, all gas burners, gas logs, combustion chambers, heat exchanger systems, stainless steel
firebox components, plating, doors, glass damaged by thermal breakage, steel baffle supports, steel and ceramic baffles and
manifold tubes. Labor is for the first five years.

This limited Lifetime Warranty does not extend to or include surface finish on the appliance, door gasketing, glass gasketing,
glass, firebrick, pellet logs, igniters, kaowool or other ceramic insulating materials.

Sounds like the ceramic baffle should be covered under warranty, which I was not even aware of (I have charged people for them before). But the insulation is not. The bricks are definitely not under warranty and I think the bricks with the holes are around $20 each. The Bodegay Bay uses a 1/2" kaowool ceramic blanket FYI. It is 21-1/2" x 14" with a 10" diameter half circle cut out of the back.

I have found the Kaowool on E-bay, 25 feet of the stuff for roughly the same price as the dealer wants for just the one piece. They list two different Kaowools in 1/2" thickness. They have a 8#dens, and a 6#dens. Anyone have an inclination on which one to buy? Does anyone know what the dens number is? (is it pounds perhaps?) And thanks for the dimensions of the blanket, it's in the manual, but nice to have someone else with knowledge verify it for me. Here are the links for the material on e-bay, let me know which one will work, or would be preferable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaowool-Ceramic...oryZ1267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kaowool-Ceramic...ZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

the kawoll blanket will normally get covered if the dage done to it was due to the baffle cracking fyi jtp1081

Only time I find them torn apart is from sloppy sweeps, or sloppy homeowners sweeping thier own chimney.

lyork, not sure which dens you would need, I only use OEM parts for my customers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.