Quadra Fire Classic Bay vs Englander 10-CPM Which one would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hank Hill said:
The venting system is I have is for corn/pellets. you can burn straight corn in the sante fe, you just need alittle wood pellets at start up for lighting..

OK, But have you actually burned any yet?

Hank Hill said:
The venting system is I have is for corn/pellets. you can burn straight corn in the sante fe, you just need alittle wood pellets at start up for lighting..

.... and cherry pits ?????

I am so far happy with my little santa fe, knock on wood, plus is a MUCH quieter stove than the englander i used to have, just my personal experience.

Hank Hill said:
Cherry pits also...

Hmmmmm.......go ahead. If you have a problem with the stove, remember what your owners manual states:

"Tested and approved for wood pellets and shelled field corn fuel only. Burning of any other type of fuel voids your warranty."

After further review. Straight from Quads site on the Santa fe

The convenient and user friendly operation includes our patented jam-free feed system along with the ability to burn wood pellets and a combination of wood pellets and shelled corn.

I didn't think quad had a stove that burned straight corn except the Mt Vernon. There is a big diffeence from a "combination of" and "straight corn". Like double the total ash and clinkers the size of grapefruits. Lots of stoves are rated for mixed pellets and corn. Straight is a bit tougher. Careful with this one Hank. Specially if the stove is still under warranty.

Has this turned into an argument on the definition of "multi-fuel"? My CB 1200i CAN burn 100% corn if you put a handful of pellets in the pot before ignition. If my stove CAN burn two types of fuel would that not make it a multi-fuel stove? Not that I care or would ever do it. Corn is more expensive and requires much more maintenance. But if we're seeing who can pee further, let's not let one guy stand on a bench.

Josh, Going against the manufacture and its recommendation is a whole other can a beans here. Voids warranty to start with. That was my point! I got nothing to prove, Just telling it like it is! Thats the way we roll here, Break the rules and we don't pay much attention when you come here crying the blues! Pretty easy really!

Just my 2 peas worth!

I have burned straight corn in my CB 1200. It does say in my manual "in cases where it is acceptable for the appliance to run Full Time, 100% corn will work after the fire has been started with pellets". I tried this last winter. It worked. But that's all I can say. I had to shut it down after I woke up in the morning because of the build up of ash and clinkers in pot. It was still burning. But did not want it to continue. I finished the rest of my corn with a 70/30 mix (pellets/corn). I will only burn pellets now. (Love my Somersets) This was my personal experience. I would not recommend doing it . I run my stove 24/7 on low heat/high fan (except for daily scraping). Burning on low is why I get/got a bad build-up. But that's what works for me. Don't mind the cleaning. (Got a 9 year old and a pregnant wife) Gives me a lil alone time. Not knocking on Quad. Love my Stove. But I would say if your looking for an "Alternitive Fuel" source other than just pellets or a light mix. Then go with a "True" Multi-Fueler than can burn corn and do it efficiently without problems. IMHO. New to this Forum. Wish I knew about it a couple yrs ago. Very helpful and knowledgeable people. This is my 2 cents and don't want to be involved in a "pissing match" with anyone. Best wishes to all

DexterDay said:
I have burned straight corn in my CB 1200. It does say in my manual "in cases where it is acceptable for the appliance to run Full Time, 100% corn will work after the fire has been started with pellets". I tried this last winter. It worked. But that's all I can say. I had to shut it down after I woke up in the morning because of the build up of ash and clinkers in pot. It was still burning. But did not want it to continue. I finished the rest of my corn with a 70/30 mix (pellets/corn). I will only burn pellets now. (Love my Somersets) This was my personal experience. I would not recommend doing it . I run my stove 24/7 on low heat/high fan (except for daily scraping). Burning on low is why I get/got a bad build-up. But that's what works for me. Don't mind the cleaning. (Got a 9 year old and a pregnant wife) Gives me a lil alone time. Not knocking on Quad. Love my Stove. But I would say if your looking for an "Alternitive Fuel" source other than just pellets or a light mix. Then go with a "True" Multi-Fueler than can burn corn and do it efficiently without problems. IMHO. New to this Forum. Wish I knew about it a couple yrs ago. Very helpful and knowledgeable people. This is my 2 cents and don't want to be involved in a "pissing match" with anyone. Best wishes to all

Thanks DexterDay, I was looking for first hand comments. Burning straight corn sounds very interesting until you actually have a swing at it. peace!:)

I just popped in the dvd that came with my stove and the manufacturer recommends starting with a 50/50 corn/pellet mixture. If the stove lights and functions properly, try a 80/20 mixture. It also states that 100% corn can be burned but a handful of pellets will need to be dropped in the pot to light the stove. Once lit, it can run non-stop on corn only (until it needs a cleaning obviously).

I'm not trying to piss any further than the next guy. I've only had my stove a week and I'm sure I'll need this forum the next time I have problems or questions. I will probably never burn corn because it's more expensive than pellets and requires more maintenance/cleaning.

Your Welcome j-takeman...Again. That was my personal experience. I had terrible results. Became very educated about corn after that. I know now that I won't do it again. My buddy owns a large farm and I can get corn very "cheap". Before I burnt the corn, we discussed his pricing. Almost worked out to "A Beer a Bushel" LOL.. Learned from my mistakes.... For those who do burn corn (mixture) in there Quads. I'm glad it works out for you.
But I do Love my Quad so much I am gonna make a 2 hour trip to Kinsman Stove shop on Friday to talk to Eric about a Santa Fe. God Bless and Stay Warm everyone

DexterDay said:
......But I do Love my Quad so much I am gonna make a 2 hour trip to Kinsman Stove shop on Friday to talk to Eric about a Santa Fe. God Bless and Stay Warm everyone

Tell Eric that imacman says Hi, and give Pellet a scratch under the ear and a treat......and STAY AWAY from the beer in the fridge that he "owes" me!!!! :mad:

Just joshing.....have a couple-three on me. ;-)

Pete, I am keeping your beer rotated. No one likes skunky beer.

DexterDay, see you when you get here.

Eric

j-takeman said:
slls said:
A multi-fuel stove is no value to me, I live in a state with 17 million acres of trees. My Quad burns wood pellets period.

When you(and I do mean "WHEN") hit a iffy batch of pellets and the Quad starts choking on them. Maybe you might see what the multifuel difference means.

I double dog dare you to go out and get 2 bags of ACP's and try them in your quad. :) %-P

Iv'e burned Energex, Pennington, Spruce Pointe so far. I stay away from bad stuff, j-takeman keeps me straight.

May buy 2 bags MWP just to see. Going to need a new stash, but still leaning for more Energex, known quantity.

I don't know how the Quadrafire Mt Vernon compares to the Sante Fe but I'd swap it for an Englander. Don't get me wrong it's a solid stove but it's loud, parts are very expensive, and it has to be cleaned daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.