Quadra Fire Expedition 2 - experience and concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JT_Ohio

Jan 7, 2021
South West Ohio
Hi All,
We just recently purchased a Quadra fire Expedition 2 and finding it goes through wood pretty quickly. We moved last year and our previous house we installed a Quadra Fire Discovery 2 wood stove which was great and we could really turn down the controls and when would wake have the stove still warm and find it easy to turn back on with some kindling. I grew up with a coal and wood stove so i am comfortable with using them and what to expect to heat 2500 sqft house. Seems this little one is pretty dead by morning and I have to continually feed it during the day. We are burning very seasoned oak and hard maple,

Our local vendor (which install our previous stove) did not have much for inserts (Vermont Castings or QF) so i went with QF figuring it would act the same way as my previous stove even though i new about the new EPA regulations. The manual says to control the burn by how much wood you add to it, i guess the Feds needed it to burn at a nice hot temp so it has complete combustion. Im concern about the longevity as you have no way to run it cooler or have more control. If it runs hot your just going to wear it out and have to replace it in 10 or so years., like running your vehicle faster your going to wear it out quicker.

We like QF and our experience is that these are great stoves and with these being new stoves due to the new EPA regulations that these are not going to have the same experience as our previous one. I don't think we have a problem with the stove it just burns hotter and goes through more fuel than compared to our previous QF. Is anyone else here having the same experience with these stoves? I guess I just have to reset my expectations about this stove.

Staying warm in Ohio,

JT

I guess I just have to reset my expectations about this stove.
Seems like a lot of people are re-setting expectations with many 2020 stove models.

Reactions: JT_Ohio