Quadra-Fire Hearth Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RCybergeek

Feb 6, 2017
Colorado
Hello. This is my first post here. Though I have been reading several over the last couple of weeks that have been helpful, I still have some questions.
We just purchased a Quadra-Fire 7100FP. We are temporarily using the old hearth from the old fireplace. The inspector was okay with its use, as it apparently meets code. However we want to replace it.
The manual states that the fireplace has been tested with a hearth extension (extension?) to a minimum of 2.06 R, and that this hearth extension must be covered with tile or stone, or some other non-combustible material.
We started planning and buying materials, and have the Micore 300 and tile that we want. We understand that we need 1" of Micore to meet the R requirement. From this forum, I also learned that I can't really put tile on top of Micore, as it will crush too easily. So, I will be getting some 1/2" cement board, likely Durock, to put over the Micore.
My primary question is securing these layers together. We should have enough material not to have any seams, so we don't need to worry about sealing gaps. However, is it safe to screw down the board, since metal screws will conduct heat down to the plywood floor underneath? Do I need to put thin-set or other adhesive between the layers?

Welcome. Follow directions for securing the Durock. I think it's a screw every 8". You will need to get longer screws for the layers. There is no need to put thinset between the layers. The screws will keep it captive and stabile. Use latex modified thinset to set the tiles.