Quadra-Fire Programmable Thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbjelka

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2008
Western CT
I have had a Quadra-Fire programmable thermostat on order for months from my dealer for my Castile insert. Getting a bit impatient I picked up a Lux programmable which seems to be working out pretty well. I am wondering if anyone out there has the Quadra-Fire branded programmable. I am specifically interested in the swing settings on the Quad t-stat. I would also be interested in knowing who the manufacturer is and what model it might be. Wondering if there is any advantage to the Quad one since it is about twice the price of my Lux. Thanks

I used a Lux on our pellet stove and loved it. No problems. I don't remember the swing setting, but it was something above the factory setting.

BeGreen,

I have a Lux PSP511LA programmable hooked to my Astoria. I'm not really that "up" on changing the setting on these, and have just left mine the way it came out of the package. Are they all adjustable for this "swing" setting? What does it do? Any advantages to changing it, if I can on mine?

Thanks

MacMan

I have a Lux on my Quadra-Fire Santa Fe and it works great. I bought it ahead of time and the folks who installed the stove put it in for me instead of the non-programmable that came with the stove. They left it with a one degree swing, I adjusted to two degrees.

I've been playing with it a bit - as it finally is getting a little colder out I begin to wonder if the programmable is really that important. I started out running it the same way I ran the oil burner with a five degree differential, but I'm finding that the stove heats the house much better when it is running consistently. Shutting down for several hours while the temp drops back just lets everything cool off and then in the morning the stove is going on and off repeatedly to catch up.

Nothing scientific yet, but my impression is that for a VERY modest increase in pellet useage I can get consistent heat throughout the house just by letting it run.

macman said:
BeGreen,

I have a Lux PSP511LA programmable hooked to my Astoria. I'm not really that "up" on changing the setting on these, and have just left mine the way it came out of the package. Are they all adjustable for this "swing" setting? What does it do? Any advantages to changing it, if I can on mine?

Thanks

MacMan

Hey MacMan,
The swing setting is the number of degrees you want the t-stat to vary on either side of the set value. I have mine set to 2 degrees which is number 8 on the Lux 1-9 programming scale. This means that if my t-stat setting is 70 the unit will call for heat at 68 and shut off the call at 72. The default setting for the lux is 1 which is .025 degrees either side of the set value. Setting the swing higher translates to less cycling which should go easier on the igniter. Not sure about the Astoria but my Quad shuts down between t-stat calls and needs to re-light using the igniter.

Here's a link to your t-stat instructions. You may have set the swing when you bought it and forgot about that setting.

http://www.luxproproducts.com/pdfs/PSP511a_WebMan_ENG.pdf

Groundhog said:
Hey MacMan,
The swing setting is the number of degrees you want the t-stat to vary on either side of the set value. I have mine set to 2 degrees which is number 8 on the Lux 1-9 programming scale. This means that if my t-stat setting is 70 the unit will call for heat at 68 and shut off the call at 72. The default setting for the lux is 1 which is .025 degrees either side of the set value. Setting the swing higher translates to less cycling which should go easier on the igniter. Not sure about the Astoria but my Quad shuts down between t-stat calls and needs to re-light using the igniter.

Here's a link to your t-stat instructions. You may have set the swing when you bought it and forgot about that setting.

http://www.luxproproducts.com/pdfs/PSP511a_WebMan_ENG.pdf

Thanks GroundHog...that was EASY! I guess I did the typical "why bother reading the rest of the instructions" thing when I installed it LOL.
I set mine to 4 to start with, and will adjust as necessary.

Yes, the Astoria is the same as the Quad....it shuts down between cycles. That's why I bought a spare ignitor from Rod (HearthTools) before he got told to stop selling online by Travis.

Thanks again......man, is this a great forum, or what?

Groundhog said:
I have had a Quadra-Fire programmable thermostat on order for months from my dealer for my Castile insert. Getting a bit impatient I picked up a Lux programmable which seems to be working out pretty well. I am wondering if anyone out there has the Quadra-Fire branded programmable. I am specifically interested in the swing settings on the Quad t-stat. I would also be interested in knowing who the manufacturer is and what model it might be. Wondering if there is any advantage to the Quad one since it is about twice the price of my Lux. Thanks

On my mt vernon with the quad thermostat I have it set for a 2 degree differential. Calls for heat 2 degrees below set temp and shuts off at set temp. Don't know the manufacturer its says quadrafire on it.

kimeric said:
Groundhog said:

On my mt vernon with the quad thermostat I have it set for a 2 degree differential. Calls for heat 2 degrees below set temp and shuts off at set temp. Don't know the manufacturer its says quadrafire on it.

That's interesting Kimeric. I was wondering if the logic was any different for the pellet t-stat. Sounds like it is. Maybe I will keep my order with the dealer despite the hefty price for the Quad model. Last night was the first night with the Lux and I was shocked how many pellets were saved with a five hour set-back of 5 degrees. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.