Quadrafire 1200i Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Turbodrabbit

Mar 4, 2022
Maryland
Hello,

New member, but have been using this forum for troubleshooting for years. Thank you for all the valuable information, it has helped keep my parents home heated during the cold winters.

Here is the issue, the Quadrafire 1200i has been acting up (more so then usual) this season. The stove would run out of pellets, and not want to restart. One day after a wind storm, the stove started to power on and off randomly every 5 or so minutes.

I cleaned the stove throughly, jumped the vac switch (replaced a few years ago with the updated round version), new hose, and only blown out toward the stove. No change, checked the connections all through out the stove, no change. Ordered a new control box, and bo change. Finally pulled the fuse and swapped, no change. After fussing with it, it finally powered up and ran fine for a month.

Now, an amber light flashed briefly (once), and the blue light flashed every 10-15 secs. Fan kicks on, but the stove does not start/drop pellets. Reading through threads on the forum, I decided to jump the manual Quadrafire thermostat, with no change. I also installed a new thermocouple, and that did not change either.

I noticed what appeared to be a pin on the control board (stove side) that appeared to be pushed back further, and attempted to pull the pin back into place. Not sure if it is ok, but should be making contact.

I have jumped all vac switch, snap discs, and the unit just blinks blue. I am a bit lost on what to do next, any thoughts?

Blue module light should only flash once every 10 seconds of the stove is unplugged and then plugged back in. Exhaust fan will run for approximately 10 minutes. If you jump across thermostat connections at back of stove, does red call for heat lamp come on? If not, check the two yellow wires are connected on inside of connector terminals (inside of stove cabinet).

The red light below the speed switch has always been illuminated. With or without being jumping the thermostat.

I am not hearing the auger motor turn at all, so I vacuumed out all the pellets. The heating element is powering up. May this be an auger issue?

If the heat light comes on when activated by thermostat, and exhaust motor spins up too but no auger feed, suspect the vacuum switch or blocked inlet or exhaust. Are you comfortable making a jumper wire to bypass the vacuum switch to check for auger operation? Also, when was the last time you looked at back of igniter chamber for ash buildup? It can block the inlet air path entirely.

I have jumped the vac switch, no change.

I pulled the access plate to the auger motor, and removed the auger. The motor vibrates/buzzes when starting the stove. I tried turning the motor by hand, and it began to turn, and stopped. I waited and it did not turn again.

This seems like the motor is weak and is getting signal. Sound logical to replace the auger motor? Would anyone recommend a place to purchase? Rebuilt unit starting at $79.99?

Sounds like it's time for a new auger motor. I think CB1200's are tougher on auger motors than other Quadrafire models due to location and being more heat soaked.