Quadrafire 5100-i Act help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cliff2448

May 27, 2017
Lagrange ny
Hello all, I has a Quadra fire 5100i-Act that needs a rebuild so today I gave it a good cleaning and started making a list of parts that I needed to purchase to get ready for the coming cold months. I'm planning on replacing all the fire brick in the unit as they are showing there age with lots of broken bricks and extremely brittle bricks as well. My question is this. According to the serial number and model number it is a 5100-i Act unit but I do not have a fiber board baffle or a blanket this unit has a factory installed fire brick baffle. So I started researching it appears under parts websites that the Pre ACT used a fire brick baffle but according to my id tag I do in fact have a ACT. So I reached out to my local Quadra fire dealer and he was arguing me the point that if I had a firebrick baffle then I had a pre ACT stove if that's the case why does my id tag say ACT so as I start to order parts I do not want to order all the wrong parts for my model. What are the differences between the Pre ACT and the ACT model thank you in advance for the help -Patrick

Maybe it's a first-year model. What year is this insert? Does it have the startup air control on the right?

It's ok to save the firebrick that is not cracked and reuse it in a less vulnerable location.

All the documentation I have for the stove shows the baffleboard and blanket. My manual is date Apr. 2010.

I tried calling to find out a production year using the serial # I never received a call back. I do believe that the model year is pre 2010 I can find where the fire bricks are listed as a baffle on parts websites but they all claim pre act stoves use the bricks as a baffle. Which I don't understand since my model tag says 5100 I act. I'm almost certain thisvstove is all original

Did you buy the stove new?

Well, it is possible that the baffle was replaced with firebrick. They can be brittle and some folks crack them when loading the stove too full or when cleaning the stove. Are the bricks that are there for the baffle standard firebrick or much lighter pumice bricks?