Quadrafire 5100i, Replaced baffle blanket. Stove not running properly.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

divebri

Dec 6, 2008
Long Island
I have recently installed a Quadrafire 5100i that I purchased used. In the process of moving the stove and installing it, I tore the blanket of kaowool that sits above the baffle. I went ahead and ran the unit for a couple of days with the torn blanket laid atop the bricks in pieces, since my local dealer wasn't open. When the dealer opened, I went and bought a replacement blanket. Now, the replacement blanket seemed to me to be substantially thicker than the original (about 1" vs about 1/2"). I did ask the dealer if the blanket was universal or specific to the Quadrafire. He stated that it was specifically for the Quad. I installed the blanket after cutting the piece to 20" width, 19" depth. The problem is that the stove simply doesn't burn the same. When I go to add wood, smoke billows out. The fire doesn't seem to draw properly, etc. So I guess my question is this: What is the proper thickness of kaowool for the baffle blanket on a Quadrafire 5100i?
I am wondering if the blanket is blocking flow to the flue opening.
Thanks,
divebri

Did you install the blanket properly? It is not supposed to be touching the back wall, neither is the baffle board. It is also not supposed to be bunched up anywhere, covering the full area of the baffle board.
Look at the manual (online at quadrafire.com if you don't have the paper one) for it, it tells you exactly how it supposed to be installed.
The thickness is about 3/4" or 1", I think you have the right one.

Sorry, I mispoke, I was going by memory, but I just glanced at the manual, the baffle board and blanket are supposed to be all the back against the back wall, with the blanket not bunched up.

If the orig was 1/2" and he sold you the 1" one it could be wrong. Some units use 1/2" and some use 1". I have a blanket "matrix" document at work I will check next week if I think of it.

Found this is a 2004 manual

832-3390 Ceramic Blanket, 1/2” (field cut to size, 20-1/2” x 18-1/2”)

This was also in the current manual

14 Blanket, Ceramic, 1/2 inch 832-3390

I know some of the REALLY old units that had steel baffle plates on the top had 1" blankets. Also I think the 7100 does. Otherwise most units with the baffle boards or bricks for the baffle used a 1/2" blanket.

According to the parts list on the dealer web site the 5100-I is supposed to have a 1/2" thick blanket.

Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies.
I went down to the dealer's showroom Sat. morning to look at a 5100i set up there. The unit I have is older (maybe 5-7 years?) and has firebrick above the baffle. The newer 5100i has a ceramic board. The ceramic board is about 1/2" thick, the firebrick about twice that. Therefore, the newer unit does, in fact, use the 1" blanket, while my older unit needs a 1/2" blanket.
The kaowool "peels" in layers, just like home fiberglass insulation, so I simply peeled the blanket to 1/2" thickness. Voila! The insert functions beautifully now.
I do, however, wish I had seen this forum prior to purchasing the kaowool from the dealer. I saw one post that mentioned a body could buy kaowool online for about 1/2 the price I paid at the dealer!
Along those same lines: The thermostat controlling the blowers on this unit is dead. The dealer wanted $50 for this thermostat (called a snap disc). I balked. I called electrical supply guys and heating/plumbing houses around my area (Long Island), but could only find units that were normally closed (allowing current until reaching a preset temperature, then opening to interrupt current as a safety device on gas appliances). The insert uses a normally open disc which does not allow current until reaching a preset temp, then closing contacts to allow current.
The long and short of it is that I found snap discs at an online seller called Allied Supply Company. The cost is $12.60, so I'm trying one out. If it's good to go after I install it, I'll post the product #, etc.
Thanks again for your responses.
divebri

Actually the manual from Sept 2008 still shows the 1/2" blanket for the 5100i. Maybe the dealer sold the one out of thier showroom model and replaced it with the 1" cause they think thats what it needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.