Quadrafire Auto Clean not dropping ash since switching to Outside Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Z15

Oct 25, 2013
Vermont
Hi All,

I am in year 6 of enjoying my Quadrafire Mt Vernon Insert. I burn about 5 ton a year. I live in a relatively leaky cabin and do struggle to keep the humidity up with 2 large Lasko humidifiers.

So, before this heating season I switched to pulling outside air into the fire hoping that I might get a bit less air infiltration and moisture loss. I think it has made a slight improvement in that regard.

But, pulling that frequently COLD air through the burnpot has changed the consistency and behavior of the ash, the most frustrating part being that occasionally, when the stove does it's autoclean, the little shelf of ash at the bottom of the burnpot does NOT DROP into the ash bin (it clings in place as the burnpot bottom goes back and forth under it undisturbed). So the next time it goes to light it drops the pellets on a ~.5 inch layer of cold ash and the pellets do not ignite. (And I get a failed ignition error) It's happened a half dozen times and more frequently as it's gotten colder. The layer of ash can be easily broken up with a poker but will hold it's shape a bit.

On the positive side I would say that I get less ash in general (it also seems a bit darker than I remember which surprised me).

Any thoughts on what I might do differently other than break up the layer before autoclean runs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Z

You might try a different brand of pellets, to see if it helps the moisture problem, that is causing the clinker to stick to pot wall. You could also try running a little hotter. If you have access to some dry corn, try burning a mix to clean pot better. kap

Reactions: Z15
Are you using a different pellet this year ?
I find different brands have different ash consistences

Are you using a different pellet this year ?
I find different brands have different ash consistences

Same old New England Pellets...same as always.

I think an aspect of this is the fact that it is pulling what might be 10 degree air (or colder) thru the burn pot instead of the roughly 70 degree air that it was pulling in the past. So the leftover embers from the fire are cooled more quickly (and burn somewhat less completely) before the autoclean.

Is that possible?

The colder the air it is drawing in, the better it likes it. I can increase my fuel rate when it gets colder. And the same brand of pellets can have bad batches of em, or they could of gotten damp at some time. kap

NEWP stink, they also contain binders. Try a good softwood.

Thanks for the ideas folks. Breaking up the sticky clump every couple days isn't a huge deal...I just enjoy it the least at 3 in the morning....

If you put a magnet on the door sensor, it thinks the door is closed and the auto clean will still work with door open, for poking clinker. kap