QuadraFire baffle board/Fire board broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Merc1973

Oct 14, 2016
MD
i just cleaned my liner to get ready for the burning season. Upon removing the blanket and fireproof baffle board, one was cracked in half. It needs to be replaced, but at $140 for a new set.... come on. There has to be another option. I will call my dealer tomorrow and see if they will honor the skimpy warranty but its not listed as covered, i doubt they will.

What is the material? Fiberglass? Cement? Or a mixture?

How about this stuff on Amazon? Basalt insulation board. Its the same thickness and rated for 1600 degrees. Or the Ceramic simvac board.

Basalt Insulation Board https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UATBSPM/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Ceramic Fiber Insulation Board 2300°F - 0.5 Inch X 11.8 Inch X 15.3 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075PCJCY3/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Last edited:
I think the ceramic fiber is what you want, not the basalt.

What are the dimensions of the board you need? Perhaps a local shop sells unbranded ones. I have a shop that sells the generic ceramic blankets at a far lower price than those that are branded for specific stoves. For the board, a few years I found a Boston area wholesaler of refractory products that sells scraps dirt cheap (the 1/2" stuff wholesales for $2-3 a sq ft) but finding a place like that is a long shot.

I think the ceramic fiber is what you want, not the basalt.

What are the dimensions of the board you need? Perhaps a local shop sells unbranded ones. I have a shop that sells the generic ceramic blankets at a far lower price than those that are branded for specific stoves. For the board, a few years I found a Boston area wholesaler of refractory products that sells scraps dirt cheap (the 1/2" stuff wholesales for $2-3 a sq ft) but finding a place like that is a long shot.

Good to hear. Yeah, I agree that the original board is ceramic. Im going with the Ceramic board from Amazon, just need to cut about an inch of each end. I will have to research my area for supply of this material in case another breaks. Thanks for the info.

I replaced the new board tonight. All went well, cut to size. I will need a new blanket next year.

I decided to remove the blower to clean that for the first time in 3 seasons. It was filthy. I used the nozzle on my air compressor to clean it. I think i made a mistake, now the makes noise like I blew dust in the bearings as it now makes a bearing noise. A little shot of WD40 did quiet it a little. What did i get my self into? Is this fixable?

WD-40 is not a good lubricant. For a longer fix it sounds like the bearings need a little light oil like 3N1 motor oil.

Reactions: Merc1973