Quadrafire Blower Rheostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cultcab

Hearth Supporter
Feb 15, 2008
Northern California
I have a Quadrafire DVI32 and I'm troubleshooting a problem with the rheostat for the blower. I replaced the snap disc for the blower and in the process I believe I shorted out the rheostat (sparks were a good clue). Now, the blower comes on after the insert gets to 125 deg but it's on high. Is this how this part fails (as a safety precaution)? I can't find the exact part on the internet (842-0370) - is it OK to replace it with SRV7000-194?

Is that a wood unit? Never heard of that model. Any local Quad dealer should be able to get parts, otherwise I can look into it.

It's a direct vent gas insert, circa 2000? Part is 842-0370, speed control with knob.

Most likely that service rehostat will work but have your dealer cross check it with the factory.

Thank you for all the responses. I was able to find a local dealer and I have a replacement rheostat on order.

One thing that the dealer said to me surprised me. I thought that the blower served as a safety component to keep air moving behind/beneath the fireplace, but he told me that it was purely for blowing hot air. Based on that, I ran the gas insert this evening without the fan and after about 15 minutes, I noticed that there was a distinct burning smell in the air. Do I need to have the blower on when the heater is running? I assumed so because there's a snap disc in the circuit to turn the fan on at 125 deg.

the unit can operate with out the blower the smell you are getting is most likely some dust burning on the unit.

The blowers are accessories, not required. You are probably smelling some dust or oils burning off, if you always use the blower the shell is probably getting hotter than it ever has before.

Status
Not open for further replies.