Quadrafire blues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scagger

Oct 4, 2008
Central MA
I spent some time today replacing the flue flange gasket on my Quad Castille insert along with the combustion blower gasket. I replaced the flue gasket because I could smell smoke, but it appears that a new gasket did not work. It smells so much that I get a headache instantly, but there’s no visible smoke and my CO detector is not going off. Honestly I am about ready to junk this thing and get a Harman Accentra. The Quad is really poor quality and I’ve been thinking about upgrading to a better stove for several years now. I don’t know whether to pull the trigger now on a new stove or try to fix this stupid thing for another year. Any suggestions or opinions are welcome!

Is all of the venting clean? Is the flange for the exhaust securely seated on the flange from the stove? I know that I have problems aligning the flanges with each other after I pull my insert out for a thorough cleaning. I have to pay extra attention to make sure that the 2 alignment studs line up with the holes in the flange.

I have had my Castile Insert for about 10 years now and think that it is a quality built unit. I have had to replace the convection blower, gaskets, and a snap switch over the years. I think that is a pretty good track record.

Is all of the venting clean? Is the flange for the exhaust securely seated on the flange from the stove? I know that I have problems aligning the flanges with each other after I pull my insert out for a thorough cleaning. I have to pay extra attention to make sure that the 2 alignment studs line up with the holes in the flange.

I have had my Castile Insert for about 10 years now and think that it is a quality built unit. I have had to replace the convection blower, gaskets, and a snap switch over the years. I think that is a pretty good track record.

I cleaned all of the venting about 2 weeks ago, but I have to admit that it was the first time doing it myself. I will have to double check the alignment studs on the flange. I appreciate your advice...I'll post an update once I check it out again.

I cleaned all of the venting about 2 weeks ago, but I have to admit that it was the first time doing it myself. I will have to double check the alignment studs on the flange. I appreciate your advice...I'll post an update once I check it out again.

Reseated the flange again and made sure the studs were lined up. I started it up and could smell it again except this time I did see some smoke during ignition. It appears to be coming from where the pipe connected to the flange adapter.

It sounds like you may need to caulk that connection. You must use high temperature rated caulk. I believe that it is RTV type that you want to use to withstand the high temperatures.

Reactions: kappel15
It sounds like you may need to caulk that connection. You must use high temperature rated caulk. I believe that it is RTV type that you want to use to withstand the high temperatures.

Last weekend I pulled the stove out and used Rutland high temp caulk around the flange that inserts into the flex pipe. That seemed to help alot, but I did notice a puff of smoke upon startup between the joint where the gasket is. I have some Ultra Copper RTV that I think I am going to apply to both sides of the gasket just to seal this off once and for all. To ease my mind about keeping this stove a little longer, I took the time to paint all external parts and used liquid nail on the caps that hold the glass panes in the side panels. Those things were always popping off.

I've only had those caps pop off once. My wife had tipped it over while I had it off to clean the stove.

Sounds like things are going well for you. Hope you have a good heating season with your Quad.

Best way to check for leaks is in the dark with a flashlight, right when starting stove. kap

Reactions: Former Farmer
Best way to check for leaks is in the dark with a flashlight, right when starting stove. kap

Thanks Kap. I applied a little RTV to the gasket last weekend and so far so good. I think the clasps that hold the flanges together don't clamp as tight as they used to. Now if I can just figure out how to quiet down that vibrating convection fan. I want to murder that thing.