Quadrafire Castile Auger Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

keonidchi

Jan 14, 2020
Hayward, CA
Hey everyone. 1st post here but have read many of the threads and love the info. I’m having an issue with my Castile insert’s auger. Everything was running perfectly as it has for the past 3 seasons until I got a bad batch of pellets which severely creosoted everything causing pellets to clog the feed shoot into the pot. This caused a backup of pellets which smoldered and burned up into the auger feed tube. This melted the auger nylon bearing, gasket and fried the motor.

I have since disassembled and cleaned pot, exhaust ports and chimney, vacuumed the combustion and convection blower fans, pellet hopper and auger feed tube, checked both snap discs, vacuum tube and connection ports. I disassembled the auger and motor assembly and replaced the motor, nylon bearing and gasket. I put everything back together, plugged it back in, turned on the thermostat to start up the stove and the following happened. The blue light in the clear control box blinked 7 times. The combustion blower begins to run. However, the auger does not turn.
I then unplugged the unit and 1. disconnected/reconnected the control box; 2. ran a diagnostic by setting the control box from 6 to 0; 3. jumped the vac switch wires together and the #1 snap disc wires together; 4. Plugged the stove back in at the 0 setting. The Combustion Blower- Convection Blower- Feed motor activated and auger spun- Igniter all ran for 10 seconds in that order.
This told me that all components are getting power and the #2 snap disc isn’t faulting. I then unplugged the unit and 1. Changed the control box from 0 to 6; 2. Kept the jumper on the vac switch wires; removed the jumper on the #1 snap disc and put wires back to their original connections; 4. Plugged the stove back in at the 6 setting. The Combustion Blower powered on but Feed motor didn’t spin, I used a volt meter at the #2 snap disc and at the vac wires. Neither had any power.
What am I doing wrong and what else should I try?

If you turn on the tstat, make sure that the call light is on. Check for power at the vac switch. If no power from red wire, check control box or wire harness. power on red but no power on orange, check vac switch or vent system. Check for power at the orange wire on the #2 snap disc. If no power from the orange wire, check were harness or reset the disc. IF power is present replace feed motor or check connector pin or capacitor. Remember initial feed time is 60 seconds, and you will have to push the reset button before each test. And check that firepot tc is touching inside end of cover and is sticking in pot at least 3/4". kap

If you turn on the tstat, make sure that the call light is on. Check for power at the vac switch. If no power from red wire, check control box or wire harness. power on red but no power on orange, check vac switch or vent system. Check for power at the orange wire on the #2 snap disc. If no power from the orange wire, check were harness or reset the disc. IF power is present replace feed motor or check connector pin or capacitor. Remember initial feed time is 60 seconds, and you will have to push the reset button before each test. And check that firepot tc is touching inside end of cover and is sticking in pot at least 3/4". kap
Thanks Kap. I plugged it back in and began to test. The call light was on after tstat turn on. Had 30ish volts on red wire at the vac switch. At this point the auger started working. Maybe it just needed a vacation. I got everything hooked up and running. Seems fine. I’ll get back in a few days if it acts up.
-keoni

Reactions: stovelark