Quadrafire Castile baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikeflys

Aug 25, 2015
Idaho
I 've been away from this forum for a while, I did a search but was not able to find the info I needed. I have a Castile stove. The plate that covers the "Heat Tubes" in the top of the stove has fallen down several times now. it lands directly over the burn pot. We have been home and awake every time this has happened, so far. Has anyone removed this plate and ran the stove without it? Does it have a function other than decorative? I contacted Quadrafire directly and was told "we don't deal with customers, contact the store you bought it from" which I found very upsetting. If I had known this was how they dealt with their customers I think I would have look for another brand.

The plate that covers the "Heat Tubes" in the top of the stove has fallen down several times now. it lands directly over the burn pot.

I have had mine fall several times over the years. I installed the stove in 2007. Every time that it has fallen, I think that I had not installed it properly. The rear of the plate was not latched onto the cast iron plates in the back of the firebox causing it to fall after thermal expansion from the fire.

I would not run the stove without the plate installed. The heat tubes are aluminum or aluminum alloy and may not hold up to the direct heat from the flame. Aluminum has a relatively low melting point for a metal.

Reactions: kappel15
Ive had mine come close to falling off. I make sure its on tight now after its been removed, just try pulling at the corners to make sure its secure. I would not run the stove without the baffle!!! Could warp the heat tubes.

Reactions: kappel15