Quadrafire Castile Call Light Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter Martin

Oct 27, 2013
Chappaqua, NY
Just recently, the call light on my Castile stopped going on. The stove is working just fine, it's just that the bulb is burned out. This happened about 2 months after I installed a smart thermostat, which has its own voltage. I did notice that, after I installed the smart thermostat, the bulb seemed to light a little brighter, but it didn't burn out for at least a couple of months. So, I have three questions:

1)Could the installation of the smart thermostat have increased the current to the bulb, causing it to blow not immediately, but after a few months?

2)How do I replace the bulb? I opened up the metal control box and tried to pull out the red protective cover, but it doesn't want to come out. Very annoying. It almost looks as if you have to replace the whole two wire harness back to the control panel and not just the bulb, but that doesn't seem correct.

3)Is the bulb a standard one that I can buy? It looks as if the replacement part 812-0760 costs about $20, which seems ridiculous for a simple bulb.

Thanks in advance for the help.

It may not be a bulb but a light-emitting dioid
is more likely the case and it would come with wires

Yes, that could be the case. So, I have to replace the whole assembly and then solder the connection back to where the control board connects to the stove? That seems a bit arduous to replace a bulb.

If that is what you have to do then I would cut the wires and splice them

And also add a current limiting resistor or else the new led will burn out in short order as well

I still don't understand how to get the old one out. Does it pull through the bottom of the box, or out the top? I would have thought that the bottom bit unscrews, but I can't get it to budge. There are these fins on the bottom side. Do I need to cut those or something?

And also add a current limiting resistor or else the new led will burn out in short order as well
I assume I could also just buy a different LED that accepts whatever current flows through the circuit?