Quadrafire Castile feeding too many pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rdogg88

Feb 24, 2014
PA
Hi all great info on here keep up the great work.

I was hoping someone could help me out... I have a quad castile freestanding bought it used installed it myself. I'm pretty religious in cleaning it and have replaced quite a few parts on it.

Here's my problem, the stove starts fine but after running on high for about 2-3 hours the burn pot will be half way full to about 3/4. If I leave it to run overnight I'll wake up to an over filled burn pot.

I've been reading a ton of forums and I know this is usually attributed to a dirty stove but I don't think this is my issue. Since this has started I've completely clean out my exhaust venting (goes straight out the wall and has about 5ft rise outside) with a leaf blower and disconnected the stove from the vent and ran a brush through too.
My exhaust fan died last season so I replaced it (also new gasket). I remove the top panel inside the stove along with rear brick panel that leads to the fan about 3 times a week and vacuum the burn pot every day.

I replaced the burn pot a few weeks ago the igniter holder broke off so it needed a new one with a new gasket. I also replaced the thermo couple as well. While I was doing this I tipped the stove on its side and checked the intake on the bottom to make sure its clear of all obstructions (I dont have an OAK). I'm considering changing the control box because i have the old grey style one (my stove is a 2003 model) I also replaced the window gasket this year with a new one from Quadrafire. But before I do this I wanted to know if there's anything else I should check. I also thought it was an intake problem so I left the ash tray door open with a small fan on low but it really didn't make a difference.

Thanks for all you help!

Is your feed rate adjusting rod, as far down as it will go? And when you replaced the exhaust fan, was it a factory fan or off brand, which can even be thru a dealer. kap

The feed rate is as low as it will go... lowest setting. The fan was an off brand but the specs matched.

I dug up the specs on the exhaust fan, I also included the link

115 Volts - AC
AMPS - 1.0
RPM - 2900
2- Male Spade terminal leads exiting the motor wires.
1- Ground wire on motor
Ball bearing motor (Doesn't require oil)
Made by FASCO
5/16" dia. stainless steel shaft

"Quick Change" Exhaust Blower Motor Assembly
Hi Temp Gasket Replacement
Impeller Blade 4.4"
6" Mounting Plate with 2 sets of mounting holes
All assembled (See pictures)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/171690253788?ViewItem=&item=171690253788

I can't recollect the specs but most that get off brand have issues, due to less rpm's or blades, I think. Not that is definitely your problem. Just throwing it out there. Are all pot holes clean, including the 8 small ones at bottom of pot floor and front of pot?kap

I can't recollect the specs but most that get off brand have issues, due to less rpm's or blades, I think. Not that is definitely your problem. Just throwing it out there. Are all pot holes clean, including the 8 small ones at bottom of pot floor and front of pot?kap

I see what your saying... it did run good last year after changed it, it didn't start running weird till I changed the gasket (on three sides I know about the airwash) and the burn pot.. not sure if its better sealed now and now not as much air is getting through. I clean the burn pot holes about every three days with a wire brush and its a newer burn pot like 3 weeks old.

Did you put the gasket on the sides and bottom? You said new pot gasket with new pot, so it can't be that. Is it a good active flame before pot starts getting full? Are you burning a different fuel? Have you tried a bag of different brand pellets to rule that out? kap

Did you put the gasket on the sides and bottom? You said new pot gasket with new pot, so it can't be that. Is it a good active flame before pot starts getting full? Are you burning a different fuel? Have you tried a bag of different brand pellets to rule that out? kap

Yup, the tadpole gasket is on the bottom and the sides. The flame is pretty active for the first few hours about 4-5 inches outside the burn pot and that varies. Then it starts to get full and the flame is a bit uncontrollable. I did try one bag of some stove chows, and didn't notice much of a difference, I was going to try to get some softwood pellets and see how they burn.

So I was reading some other posts regarding what you mentioned earlier about the exhaust fan, and stumbled across some castile mods, one stated to try to plug up the air wash; I did and the fire is burning very hot and white and the pellets don't seem to be accumulating as much. Thoughts? seems like I have an intake issue.. everything is clean maybe your right about the combustion fan.

It is an option. With nothing changing in your house that would affect the intake of air, it is the only suspect left. what irritates me is these places selling these fans with the same part #. You might be able to experiment with only x amount of air wash plugged, so as to get your moneys worth out of fan. kap

It is an option. With nothing changing in your house that would affect the intake of air, it is the only suspect left. what irritates me is these places selling these fans with the same part #. You might be able to experiment with only x amount of air wash plugged, so as to get your moneys worth out of fan. kap

Exactly!! They are vultures waiting to pick at your wallet. Most buy the knock off’ for 20-30 bucks and mark them up to $150. Then mislead the buyer by using oem part numbers. But ebay allows it because it “does “FIT” the stove.

Reactions: kappel15
Gotcha, Is there any decent off brand combustion fans that can be had for a reasonable price? My local quad dealer is quoting me at 270!

I would still just close off enough air wash to use this blower, to get your money's worth. And Quad changed suppliers for their blowers. I know as I just replaced the exhaust blower on my Santa Fe. The holes do not line up. You have to work at it, to get it to fit. I growled big time about it, but who knows if it did any good. kap

I would still just close off enough air wash to use this blower, to get your money's worth. And Quad changed suppliers for their blowers. I know as I just replaced the exhaust blower on my Santa Fe. The holes do not line up. You have to work at it, to get it to fit. I growled big time about it, but who knows if it did any good. kap

By all means use the one you have. Iol probably outlast everything else in the stove.:)

Hmm I'm starting to wonder if the glass gasket that I replaced was installed wrong... I say that because I have the air wash on the top (no gasket running across the top of the glass). I read in anther forum that the castile fs started with a top airwash and migrated to a bottom one between 2002-05 mines is an 03. Mine also has the metal tabs holding the glass on the sides the rods. Can anyone confirm this?

The Castile was changed in November of 2004. kap