QuadraFire Castile Insert Fire Pot Stuck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skives19

Oct 23, 2016
Michigan
I am having issues opening the fire pot on my QuadraFire Castile wood pellet insert to empty the ash. It is just stuck and takes a lot to get open and this morning I can't get it open. Any suggestions on what could be causing this and what to do to fix it would be appreciated.

Ya, they get a lot of deposit built up on the floor. Easy to just loosen swing bolt till pot floor drops and swings out to front of stove for easy cleaning. Burning corn cleans them off also. kap

Reactions: Former Farmer
I spray glass cleaner on burn pot and scrape off build up (spray nine ) works good for burn pot too. Never knew corn would clean them kap

Reactions: kappel15
Ya, they get a lot of deposit built up on the floor. Easy to just loosen swing bolt till pot floor drops and swings out to front of stove for easy cleaning. Burning corn cleans them off also. kap
Seriously? Every time I’ve Cleaned a stove that had corn it had a lot of sticky nasty clinkers. That may just be an issue of high moisture content or even high sugar content, but do you just have people throw a handful of corn in the pot to get it hotter? I usually tell them to run it on high for a bit and use a wire brush on a drill if it’s really bad.

I run a mix in my Santa Fe. Never have the pot floor stick. Others I have told to burn a fourth of a hopper of corn thru and it cleans it up nicely. But just loosening the bolt on swing arm, allows the pot floor to drop and clear the stop, and the floor swings out nice as you please for easier access to clean it . kap

I used to loosen them but had problems with them tightening back up or loosening too much. I’ve never had a problem with mine at my house but I clean it like your supposed to. We had a terrible time with the new cb and sf last year though. Half of them we put in said they couldn’t pull the rod in the first week after supposedly pulling the rod daily. Some of them were stuck so bad I could literally pull the stove. That’s burning the best pellets we have, cause we give them a ton with the stove. Quad said their spacers were out of spec and that was the problem but the ones they sent us did the same thing. The only luck I had was I’m adding washers to the spacer to get a larger gap when it was as tight as I could get it with a metal locknut.... it was a long winter.