QuadraFire Castile is HOT when off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigPoppaHeat

Apr 8, 2020
Maryland
Hello,
I have a 9-10 year old Castile pellet stove and it’s been off for a couple weeks. I noticed today that it’s hot. The door is hot, the pan is hot, the glass is hot. No fire has burned in it for a long while. Any ideas what might cause this? A short maybe?
I unplugged it to be safe.
Thanks for any advice on this.

Good idea to unplug it! I think that the ignitor has been on all this time. That is likely due to either a shorted triac, or stuck relay, depending on your controller. You'll need to replace the relay/triac before running the stove again, or unplug the ignitor and light the stove manually.

Good idea to unplug it! I think that the ignitor has been on all this time. That is likely due to either a shorted triac, or stuck relay, depending on your controller. You'll need to replace the relay/triac before running the stove again, or unplug the ignitor and light the stove manually.
Thanks for the reply.
Maybe I’ll make a service call on it, not something I have done before.

Sounds like you need a new control board. They are easy to replace yourself. They just plug into the connector. You should probably replace the ignitor as well. If it has been on for that long, it shortened it's life expectancy. Those aren't that hard to replace yourself. If you do your own annual cleaning, you should be able to handle these yourself and save the cost for a service tech to come out.

Reactions: Ssyko and kappel15
Had same situation with my harman. Ignitor was staying on all the time. Had to be a problem with the control board as the igniter cannot stay on by itself only. As someone said it is a triac which is a small part on the board. I went ahead and bought a new board since my stove was 8 years old anyways. And of course I bought a new ignitor while I was at it and that fixed the problem. You could save a lot of money if you just go ahead and get the board yourself. Very easy to disconect a couple wire harnesses and pop out.aying on..

btw: this is what happens after prolonged or constant current going to the ignitor
this is from a harman free standing stove:

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz15812747747191387713398036070802.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz15812747747191387713398036070802.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Just remember if you replace the control board yourself, to always unplug the stove before removing or installing a control board, you run the risk of toasting it. kap

Reactions: Ssyko