Quadrafire Castile Pellet Insert blowing fuse.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike2043

Jan 5, 2014
NY
Hello everyone. You folks have unknowingly helped me a lot this heating season. For some reason I am having all kind of problems with my stove. The stove is a 2004.

So far this year I have replaced the exhaust motor,the door gasket & had to remove the heat blower for a good cleaning. I had it running good & then it crapped out again. It seems to be having some thermocouple issues. It's been running good for the last couple of days & all of a sudden tonight the fuse blows. The fuse blew while the unit was cooling down. This is the first time the fuse ever blew. I tried another fuse & it blew immediately when I put it in. I pulled the silver box off & opened up and cleaned a lot of dust out of it. I am now out of fuse's . What should I be checking?

All these problems happen at night ( which really pisses me off) stove will run great all day and then crap out when I go to bed.

When you cleaned the dust out of the box, did you notice any scorch marks or damaged components? Also, check the wiring, connectors, and snap disks throughout the stove for scorch marks that would indicate a short circuit.

If the stove was cold the second time, the control box and combustion blower would normally have power... they could possibly be the cause.

If you want to sacrifice more fuses, you can try to narrow it down. Unplug both wires to each motor (2 blowers and auger) and the ignitor, (safely stowing the loose wires), and then try it again. If it blows, it's in the control box or the stove wiring somewhere. If not, unplug the stove, re-install a component, and try again. Add components one at a time until you find the culprit.

Ok. Everything disconnected including the thermostat & igniter & It still blows the fuse as soon as I put it in.

It must be somewhere in the wiring of the stove. I guess you can remove the wires from snap disks and any other connectors you can find.

Gotta ask: are you sure you're using the correct fuse?

Since you replaced the exhaust motor, I'd look to see if any wiring is laying on the housing and possibly melted. Check your connections you made when you put the new one in.

Then, you cleaned the convection blower. Did you pinch a wire putting it back in and fastening it down? Again, look for melted wires.

I had a friend that knows more about electric then me & he was able to trace a gray wire and found the short. I also had to replace the fuse holder. That got beat up blowing all fuses. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Reactions: SwineFlue
Gray wire = from fuse holder to and from snap disk #3, the safety snap disk on the back of the auger, which is very close to the convection blower. It also runs back to the box under the control box.

Perhaps you skinned a wire when you were removing or replacing the fan? It's a good lesson for all of us Quad-draholics to learn and beware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.