Quadrafire Castille

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bramdon

Nov 4, 2018
Seattle
Hi All,

We have having a strange issue I can't seem to wrap my head around. Our Quadrafire Castille is not getting any vacuuum at the auger nipple. I removed the auger and actually removed the nipple to insure it was indeed clear. The exhaust fan is blowing and without pellets I can feel vacuum in the hopper. If I place a towel in the auger hole in the hopper there is no vacuum, if I place pellets in the hopper there is no vacuum. I replaced the pot gasket and the exhaust housing gasket, planning on replacing the exhaust blower motor gasket as well. I cleaned the hole exhaust path as well. Is there anything I'm missing that is not causing vacuum at the nipple?

Thanks,
Brandon

Have you tried jumping the vac wires and see it things work? Just be careful not to ground them out on the stove. And you can usually tell if there is a vacuum by having door open with exhaust fan running, and then close it, and hear the difference in the sound of the exhaust fan. As long as there is fuel in the bottom of hopper and the door gasket is good, and the exhaust path is clear, there should be vacuum.
kap

Yes with the wires jumped the stove runs fine. Before startup I can tell the difference in sound..with the door open you can tell hear the air rushing.

If door gasket is good, sounds like bad vac switch. Is this stove new enough it has a hopper lid switch?

No hopper lid switch. The problem is I'm not getting vacuum at the nipple. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the nipple and there is absolutely no movement on the gauge, although I feel vacuum when I stick my hand in the hopper auger area. I'm sure the door seal could be a little tighter but it's definitely not gaping open.

Are You using an automotive vacuum guage? That wont work on a pellet stove. Have to use a magnehelic differential pressure guage. If the stove is running normal with the vac switch jumped, change your vac switch

Yes I was using an automotive gauge. Would I feel any vacuuum at the nipple with my finger? I applied about 5 mm mg at my current switch and there is continuity between the two posts.

I doubt you would feel it, but you could see it. Light a candle let it burn for a few sec. Pull the vac hose and see if stove sucks the smoke into the hose

I don't know if it makes a difference, but is the bottom door on the burnpot closed all the way? What is the gap between the bottom of the burnpot and the door?

The switch is probably weak or the diaphragm has cracks or carbon build up on the contacts. If you put enough vacuum on any vac switch it will probably work. But most stoves dont pull huge amounts of vacuum .05-.08 depending on the stove.

Have checked and made sure the vac hose is clear?

Only two options. Defective blower, or control box. Are you sure you are giving it enough time to shut off. It does take a while. Try unplugging stove, pulling control box and reseating it and plugging stove back in. It may have moved some. Do you know someone with another quad stove you can try your control box in, to see if that is it? kap