Quadrafire CB1200 initial feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IanS

Nov 7, 2016
North NJ
Hi,

I have a Quad CB1200 (FS), about 6 years old, and experiencing minor start-up / running issues. Insufficient pellets drop to ignite and burn hot enough for the thermocouple to do its job. Every time I hit the reset button to call for a second batch of pellets, the unit fires up and works OK. However, if I adjust the feed-rod inside the hopper to feed more pellets to ignite without having to hit Reset, once the fire is running the flame gets really high (i.e. licking at the glass at the top of the door).

So I seem to need more pellets at start-up, but fewer when it’s running.

I have cleaned out the exhaust-intake (port at right-rear behind the 4 screws), exhaust outlet, chimney-cleanout ports. Most of it was pretty clear already, no sign of a blockage. Removed and cleaned the convection blower (was already very clean). I don’t have an OAK, so am unclear where the air-intake is, am wondering if perhaps that is partially blocked from animal-fur, although the stove doesn’t struggle to keep running once it has ignition. Removed the baffles to shop-vac the heat-exchanger tubes, also pretty clean already. The fire-pot appears to be clean and the holes clear, the clinker-release mechanism seems to be clear and moves OK, air within the pot seems to be flowing actively when it’s running. I cleaned out the ignitor port at the front.

Other than locating and cleaning the air-intake, I’m really not sure what else I could do.

There's also a smell of smoke, although no visible sign of it. So I also need to locate and fix an exhaust-leak somewhere.

Welcome to the forum! I would check that your door gaskets pass the dollar bill test first. Leaky gaskets will effect vacuum in the firebox and would influence auger feed.

Check your heat exchangers to make sure they are in place and secure. Some members have had them fall off creating a dangerous possibility of CO escaping. Best way to check for leaks would be in the dark with a flashlight, cabinet open. Some have used a smoke pen in the fire box...

When it is early in the season, and the stove isn't running every 20 minutes, the stove can get the cold stove startup. Usually some ash from a previous fire helps this. Till season kicks in, try throwing a handful of pellets in pot before starting stove, and see what that does. kap

OK thanks. We "failed" the $5 bill test along the lower edge of the door, so my next step is to find a suitable replacement rope-gasket.

The heat-exchangers seem to be very sturdy, They also look pretty clean to me. The baffles get a white ash powder build-up, but I had those out and used the shop-vac over them quite recently.

OK thanks. We "failed" the $5 bill test along the lower edge of the door, so my next step is to find a suitable replacement rope-gasket.

The heat-exchangers seem to be very sturdy, They also look pretty clean to me. The baffles get a white ash powder build-up, but I had those out and used the shop-vac over them quite recently.
What ... no singles??;lol Look for graphite impregnated rope. Check your manual just to make sure that there are no areas w/o gaskets as some stove designs utilize the air leakage as air wash for glass. Not sure on the Quadrafires though...

Reactions: kappel15
OK I replaced the CB1200 gasket, no more $ bills slipping through anywhere around the door. Also located and sealed the exhaust leak, no more smoke at startup.

But it still seems to have either a very high flame, or difficulty with initial startup after I reduce the feed-rate. I can't be putting a handful of pellets in every 20 minutes when it wants to start, so am wondering what next to try.

For starters, make sure your feed rate is what it is suppose to be. Going by your owners manual, set the feed rate on high per instructions. This takes a long time. Are you using different pellets this year? Make sure firepot holes are all clear. This includes the 8 small ones at bottom of pot on floor and front of firepot. Also make sure firepot floor is closing all the way. Also make sure there is no more then a dimes width of opening at back of firepot between pot floor and pot wall. Time your initial feed. It should be 98 seconds. Unplug stove and plug back in. Check how many times blue light flashes in control box, every 10 seconds. Make sure thermocouple is touching inside end of cover and is clean of any ash buildup. Also make sure it is sticking inside of pot 3/4 to 1 inch. Did you pull the ignite and make sure the housing was clear of any debris when you cleaned the port? Is igniter in correctly? Did you ever take it out and install backwards? Just trying to cover all bases with this one. kap

Hi, the other problem I have is that the auger keeps jamming. I have to shop-vac all the pellets out, which frees it up. Not sure if that's supposed to happen. I use Cleanfire Pacific pellets, supposedly a high quality.

Try and see if auger is reversing at times when this happens. If not, then it is time to pull the auger and see if there is any obstruction at the top. Also then can test auger while it is out. Jump vac switch, making sure it can't short out on stove anywhere. Then turn tstat up to start auger. Grab the auger. If you can stop it fairly easy, it is time to replace it. kap