Quadrafire Control Box Settings on Castile Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Martin

Oct 27, 2013
Chappaqua, NY
I have a Castile insert that I purchased in 2011. It has the clear control box. I've never changed the settings on the box itself, but looking at it it looks to be set at 4, which seems to me to be the wrong setting for the Castile insert. That looks to be the setting for the Castile free standing stove. Is that true, and if so, should I change the setting to 6 to reflect the Castile insert? My feed rate seems to fast, so it would be good if making that change lowers the feed rate.

Cheers,

Peter

Look in your manual. The section titled Component Functions - Control Box should tell you how many blinks you should see when you plug in the stove. (If the box has been replaced, then look at the replacement instruction sheet.)

Look in your manual. The section titled Component Functions - Control Box should tell you how many blinks you should see when you plug in the stove. (If the box has been replaced, then look at the replacement instruction sheet.)

Thanks. That makes sense. It says there should be 6 blinks, and there are only 4. So, this means I need to adjust the control box. Do you know if moving from 4 to 6 increases or decreases the feed rate? It's my understand that the control box setting only controls feed rate. Is that true?

Thanks again,

Peter

I don't know why the Insert and Freestanding use different settings: they are both rated at 30,000 BTU/hr, so you'd think they would have the same feed rate.

Out of curiosity: what's the date on your manual? I downloaded one a while back (Castile Insert 7022-122, dated January 19, 2011) and it says there should be 4 blinks:
"When you plug in the appliance the blue light will automatically start blinking 4 blinks every 10 seconds for 60 seconds (depending upon setting) and then will stop."

The control box not only controls feed rate, but it also reads thermocouple temperatures to control startup and operation. It also sets the blower speeds (based on switch setting and startup logic). I just now noticed the manuals use different temperatures to trigger the green light: 175 in a 11/21/2011 Freestanding manual vs. 200 in the Insert copy I mentioned. The difference could between models, or something they changed during 2011.

My manual is dated July, 2008. It specifically says in the manual I should be seeing 6 blue blinks. I'm sure the factory setting was set to 4. I changed it to 6, but I don't really notice an appreciable change in operation. I guess I'll just leave it there unless anyone has a suggestion. Strange.

Reactions: SwineFlue
It is supposed to be 6.

bluelightflashes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.