Quadrafire Mount Vernon AE insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JoeInMaryland

Feb 10, 2019
Herold Harbor Maryland
Hey everyone,

Just had my new Mt Vernon AE insert installed yesterday. Filled the hopper before bed, and unit shut off at 0500. Thermostate shows low fuel On a medium setting, I’m not sure how it could blow through a bag in less than 8 hours. I’m thinking something happened in the hopper ( pellet jam ) that caused the the low fuel shutdown. What are you experiencing with pellet usage? 1 bag/day? All depends on heat level and run time, I know. This is a beast, so I’m not sure what to expect. Thanks

Last edited:
Did you look in hopper and see if it was low on fuel? This stove will go thru 1.7 to 7 lbs an hour, depending on settings and area to heat. kap

Reactions: JoeInMaryland
Did you look in hopper and see if it was low on fuel? This stove will go thru 1.7 to 7 lbs an hour, depending on settings and area to heat. kap
Thanks for the info. The install tech told me that the best setting for hardwood pellets was to set it to sunflower seeds. I took his advice. After this issue, I changed it to hardwood pellets, and probably burned 14 pounds last night. That sunflower seed setting must really go through some pellets. Thanks again for giving me the feed rate!
Joe

It pays to be on the fuel setting designed for what you are burning. kap

Reactions: JoeInMaryland
JoeInMaryland - Where did you purchase your insert from? I am also in Maryland and I am curious how good of a deal you got?